cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan switch to switch via fa port switchport settings?

gmtimmons
Level 1
Level 1

We are getting ready for a voip implementation and have our data vlan and voice vlan created. We go from a stack of 6 switches via fiber module to location in plant to a 3560ps works great there, but I need to setup a temp switch (poe) in training room just above this area. So I need to go via a fa port on the 3560 to this poe switch and be able to plug in a phone for training. settings that I have for the fa port are currently

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/35

switchport access vlan 33

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 33

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,33,50,330,1002-1005

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast

where 30 is data and 330 is voice

not having any luck getting phone to work off of the other poe switch. If you plug phone directly into the cable that comes out of the 3560ps works fine, but not out of the other poe switch using this port. thanks for any heads up, it has to be something simple I would think

4 Replies 4

Brian Meade
Level 7
Level 7

The switchport must be either an access port or a trunk port. In this case you want it to trunk so your configuration should be:

int gig3/0/35

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 1

spanning-tree portfast

Please also make sure that the port on the poe switch is also configured in the same manner. Also make sure you add the vlan's to the vlan database of the poe switch. Good Luck!

If you just want access to the voice vlan, you can configure like this:

int gig3/0/35

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 330

spanning-tree portfast

This will connect the other switch to vlan 330 for voice with no additional configuration required on the poe switch.

the phones will be connected to pc's so I assume I will need the data and voice vlans. The native vlan for data is 33 and for voice 330.

I tried this:

int gig3/0/35

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast

but I lose my connection to the network from that port, I do not have the other poe configured. I was hoping that information would pass to it "magicaly" ahah so I need the port on the other poe trunked with same settings as the port on the 3560, correct?

Hi Mark,

You mentioned you have a connection between the switches on a Fastethernet port. Why are you configuring a gig port then?

First, you need to configure the trunk between the 3560ps and the new PoE switch.

I don't see your trunk config on the 3560ps, but the config on the new switch should be similar to this:

interface fax/y/z

switchport mode trunk

Then, you need to configure the access port where the IP phone is connected:

Interface fax/y/w

switchport access vlan 33

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 330

Cheers:

Istvan

you either need to configure all your vlans on the temp switch or configure VTP for your vlans to pass "magically" as you said. Also, typically you do not configure portfast on a trunk port as it prevents from participating in spanning tree, however, since this is a single temp point to point link with no chance for a loop, you should be ok.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: