Views
Helpful
Replies

MPLS link point to point........!

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

We have just ordered couple of MPLS circuit from our ISP. The ISP will provide the MPLS hand-off to our router i.e. edge router for MPLS cloud is going to be of ISP and from that router it is providing a serial connectivity to our router. At the hub side it is providing one T3/DS3 serial link of mpls hand-off. At remote/spoke site we have a PPP multilink configured (multiple T1's) and this multilink interface is carrying the IP address provided by service provider.

My confusion/question is:

At the hub site we have T3 link, is it like we have to make subinterfaces out of DS3 serial interface and make tunnel interface using those subinterfaces? As we have PPP multilink configured at remote site, we should have multilink interface at hub site too, is it so?

Your response and help is highly appreciated.

--gaurav

3 Replies 3

mheusing
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The way you describe the setup - "edge router for MPLS cloud is going to be of ISP" - it looks like a MPLS L3VPN solution to me. If this is true, then you do not need to make subinterfaces.

A simple picture explaining the functionality of a MPLS L3VPN from a customer perspective: it works like one big IPv4 router. All your routers will be connected to it and "normal" IPv4 routing and forwarding will be done. So in this case you can use each serial interface at each site with local settings and IP addresses matching the ISP router settings.

Hope this helps! Please use the rating system.

Regards, Martin

thanks for the valuable input, Martin.

If we have 4 T1's termnated at one spoke site how can we bundle them together so that it may communicate with the hub site (which has T3/DS3 interface/BW)

--gaurav

Hi Gaurav,

Multilink PPP might be an option, but in any case you will have to negotiate this with the ISP. And normally the ISP will tell you, what he can do or wants to do and what not. Saying that I would suggest you to contact the ISP for further assistance, as only he can answer, what is possible and what not.

Regards, Martin