cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871W router question

SHOTGLASS
Level 1
Level 1

I just bought a brand new 871W router and I am trying to configure it with the provided software. The problem is when I use the cable it comes with to connect my Laptop to the router and startup the laptop, I get a light on FE0 for about 45sec, then it goes out. Do I have to use a crossover cable for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jerry

Yes you do

router -> switch = straight thru

switch -> switch = crossover

host -> switch = straight thru

host -> router = crossover

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jerry

Yes you do

router -> switch = straight thru

switch -> switch = crossover

host -> switch = straight thru

host -> router = crossover

Jon

Interesting, why would they not include a crossover cable with the router then? I have a console cable, and a straight thru...

Also when I hook the router up to my switch, it does the same thing, it sees it for about 45sec, then poof its gone.

Oh i wish. You can never find a crossover cable when you need one :-).

I think Cisco assume it will be configured with the console cable and then connected to a switch so they provide a straight-thru.

If you are getting the same when you connect into a switch it's time to use the console cable to see what's happening on the router.

Jon

Hi,

You could verify if the port is in "Administratively down" state. If it's the case, you should type the command "no shut" on the fasthernet interface.

Ju

The problem is, I do not have a PC available at the moment, that has a com port on it. Those ports are going away :(

OK, I went and got a crossover cable today, still getting the same thing.....

exonetinf1nity
Level 1
Level 1

You dont need a crossover cable to connect to 871 Router as the four LAN facing ports are effectively switch ports. The 5th internet facing port F4 is shutdown by default out of the box. please see my post in your other thread.

Regards

thanks guys for all your help, but it looks like its a hardware problem

i have a non-wireless 871 with a possibly the same problem. the port is not shutdown. it grabs only temporary leases on fe4 (wan). the port does not seem to go down, but neither is it operable. this has been observed on 2 different dhcp servers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card