cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to load advance IP IOS image onto 3825

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

This seems really odd, I've been attempting to load a 12.4.12c advanced IP services image onto a 3825 via TFTP. The file is around 37meg, which caused an inital problem, my TFTP server (Solar Winds) didnt support files over 32meg. With a new TFTP server (Pumpkin) the IOS loads, but fails with a console message indicating insufficent flash space. The download page indicates 64meg flash and 256meg ram as a minimum, which I have.

I checked the file size, the image I downloaded is correct, so I dont think its a corrupt image. Either the requirements on the download page are wrong, or could I have some other fault?

I deleted all files on the flash, so I had 0 bytes used before I started the download.

I used a smaller IP+ image, approx 27meg which worked ok.

8 Replies 8

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

Not tried this on the 3800's but try and squeeze the flash: after you have deleted all files.

delete flash:

squeeze flash:

Hope this helps

Martin

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Try using an FTP server. Solar winds has a size limitation (I'm unsure of what the exact number is). I have heard Tftpd32 doesn't have a limitation, but never had the chance to test.

Mark

Martin

It is an interesting suggestion to try the squeeze command, but I do not believe that it is supported in the file system for the 3800 routers.

Andy

I believe that the suggestion by Mark to use FTP is potentially useful not only because FTP does not have a size limitation but because the performance of FTP is much better than the performance for TFTP especially for large files.

However I am not sure that changing from TFTP to FTP will resolve this problem. If I am understanding correctly the copy starts, it proceeds for a while, and then it aborts with an error message about not enough flash. Is this understanding correct? If so I would suggest that you look on your server and see what the size of the image file is. Perhaps you can post the image size as reported by your server and post the output of show flash.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I did think about using an FTP server, but the I'm sure the copy process would have still failed.

The file size of the image of my PC server is 38,670,960 bytes, the same as reported on CCO. The image in question is c3825-advipservicesk9.mz.124-12c.bin

What appears to occur is that the image is loaded twice, looking at the byte counter it counts to 38something Meg, then starts again, I'm not sure why.

One of the engineers here had a PCMCIA card copier, he simply used that to copy a suitable image onto this card, although not the same as I'd downloaded. So its not a pressing issue, but I am trying to learn from the experience and establish why this process that I've done plenty of times before failed.

The TFTP server issue was a seperate issue, probably due to me using an early version, but was a bit of a diversion.

I did check to see what the size limitation is for solarwinds TFTP, and it is maximum of 32Mb.

Mark

FYI-

The latest version of Solarwinds TFTP does support large files.

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/free_tftp_server.aspx

FTP is the way to go though.

I have just upgraded another of these routers using the same image. but this time copied the image from another router using TFTP. No problem with file size errors reported this time, so I am thinking that this may be a TFTP server issue, not a problem with the image.

The server I used before was Pumpkin.

Tftpd32 is pretty much the best one out there and Cisco recommends using it in several different documents. There's more than one way to skin it though. You can SCP it to the router, put it on a USB drive etc etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco