cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a 3rd Interface to PIX 515E

rgarber315
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have two interfaces on the PIX but would like to add a third NIC to the PIX and copy the settings on my Outside Interface to the new NIC. Any help would be appreciated.

I am running version 6.3(4) with a Restricted License.

4 Replies 4

rgarber315
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody have any ideas?

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

if i am not mistaken i am sure it is just to install a network card (of course the specified from cisco) and then boot the pix.

it will then find the network card and add it as a possible configurable card.

however i am pretty shure you can not add the same information om this card as your outside.

it would not work.

Thanks for your response. We have a DSL connection that is a backup to our Fractional T1. This interface is intended to only handle the DSL backup and will either be unplugged or the interface will be set to DOWN unless we lose our T1. I mainly just want to make sure the Routes and groups are still applied to this interface. It will have a seperate IP of course. My first question was to make sure that I COULD add this interface with my current license.

Roger,

If I recall correctly if you have an (R) lisence in your PIX 515E it will support up to 3 interfaces, if you have a (UR) license it will support maximun interfaces which is a total of 6 physical interfaces. The way to tell your license is by issuing show version and take note the R or UR in output.

So if you install another single 10/100 NIC card and your PIX have R license you should be fine, I would recommend installing a quad card to give you 4 physical interfaces so that you don't waste a single NIC if needing to upgrade to quad card later , you should be able to buy a quad card cheap these days between $100-200, it will save you headaches down the road.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps5708/ps5709/ps2030/product_data_sheet09186a00800b0d85.html

HTH

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card