cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using WCS to dynamically assign WLC AP licenses

klein425
Level 1
Level 1

I heard from a Cisco sales rep that WCS could dynamically move AP licenses in the event that a WLC fails. For example, a client has 3 100 AP WLC's and all of them are at AP capacity. If one of them fails, WCS would move it's "AP licenses" to another controller(s). Is this possible or was this just another stretch claim from a sales person?

Thanks!

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

very interesting....

I was under the impression that the license files were stored on the WCS and that the WLC did not care about the license counts.

Regardless, if the WLC is at capacity, it cannot support anymore APs, license or not. If your client loses a WLC, he will have 100 APs out of service until a slot comes open on 1 of the other WLCs.

A rule of thumb we use, is to have the ability

to absorb all APs. For example, if you have 50 APs, it would require 2 4402 controllers (think redundancy) if the # of APs grow, we would add another controller to help absorb the extra or upgrade to 4404s or wisms

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

very interesting....

I was under the impression that the license files were stored on the WCS and that the WLC did not care about the license counts.

Regardless, if the WLC is at capacity, it cannot support anymore APs, license or not. If your client loses a WLC, he will have 100 APs out of service until a slot comes open on 1 of the other WLCs.

A rule of thumb we use, is to have the ability

to absorb all APs. For example, if you have 50 APs, it would require 2 4402 controllers (think redundancy) if the # of APs grow, we would add another controller to help absorb the extra or upgrade to 4404s or wisms

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: