Error Encountered using Ciscoworks to do an IOS Upgrade

Answered Question
Apr 16th, 2008
User Badges:

Hi,

here's the scenario ........ using CiscoWorks LMS 3.0.1 (latest and greatest version for all apps) on a Windows platform. I did a test of an IOS code upgrade on a 2950 switch. Everything went great until it was time for the reload to occur. No reload happened even though I have configured and, specifically, wrote to memory the "snmp-server system-shutdown" command. Any thoughts as to what I've done incorrectly, if anything? Is there another command I'm missing on the 2950? Thanks, Steve

Correct Answer by Joe Clarke about 9 years 1 week ago

This view is not sufficient to allow writing to the OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB (which is used for reloads). You should consider using the built-in view "v1default" as your write view. Alternatively, expand view1 to include the cisco branch.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Joe Clarke Wed, 04/16/2008 - 08:08
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

You will also need to have SNMP read-write credentials on the device as well as in DCR. Other than that, without the SoftwareManagement debugging enabled and the job directory, I cannot say why the switch was not reloaded.

stephenshaw Wed, 04/16/2008 - 09:12
User Badges:

Thanks for your response. RW access is granted in both the switch and DCR. I'm using SNMPv3 parameters similar to these statements (passwords have been changed):

snmp-server view view1 mib-2 included

snmp-server group cmtest v3 priv write view1 access 98

snmp-server user cmtester cmtest v3 auth sha Cisco123 priv des56 Cisco1234 access 98

Is it possible with "mib-2 included", I haven't granted the appropriate rights to permit the reload?

Thanks,

Steve

stephenshaw Fri, 04/18/2008 - 07:27
User Badges:

Anyone out there using SNMPv3? Do I need a different parameter for the RW access to allow for a reload?

Correct Answer
Joe Clarke Fri, 04/18/2008 - 08:20
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

This view is not sufficient to allow writing to the OLD-CISCO-TS-MIB (which is used for reloads). You should consider using the built-in view "v1default" as your write view. Alternatively, expand view1 to include the cisco branch.

stephenshaw Mon, 04/21/2008 - 04:49
User Badges:

Thanks, this has solved the issue - just confirmed it this morning by doing another IOS upgrade using the "v1default" view and the switch rebooted properly.

Steve

Actions

This Discussion