cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAP 1130 not getting dhcp address thru Checkpoint firewall

dsue
Level 1
Level 1

I have a LAP 1130 with 4404 WLC controller, The Windows 2003 DHCP is on another subnet, the Checkpoint firewall is between these devices. When I plug in an 1000 type AP I have no problems,(AP 1000 gets DHCP address, connects to WLC etc). But when I plug in an 1130 it does not get a DHCP address. When I plug in the 1130 on same subnet as DHCP server the 1130 gets an IP address.

any help would be appreciated

3 Replies 3

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

Try upgrading the access point's image. To do this configure a static ip address and join it to a controller. Then upgarde it through the controller.

thanks for responding. Ok I gave the AP a static IP and it did join the controller. Do I now need to remove the static, power off and then let it try to find a DHCP address?

What you are experiencing is the fact that the APs require one of 3 methods of LWAPP controller discovery. First, DHCP option 43. This uses a VCI string for each model of Cisco AP to tell the AP where the controller is. Second, is DNS resolution. In this method the DNS server resolves Cisco-LWAPP-Controller to the IP address of the controller and ensures the AP will find it. The third way is actually what you used. Console port in and give the AP the address of the controller. I hate this method as it leaves the console port open and for use. Airespace did not support that methodology. Once the APs learn the location of the controller they will register to it. They will remember the location of the controllers listed in the mobility group for future registration. If reset to factory defaults on purpose or by accident, you will have to use one of these methods again. Look for configuration guide for your version of code on the Cisco website.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: