Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 switch to layer 3 switch

rebrokenglass
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am in the process of connecting two switches together. One happens to be a cisco layer 3 switch while the other is an HP procurve layer 3 switch. Right now there are 8 ports on our HP switch that are set in the 172. vlan, however, there packets are untagged. The default gateway is 172.16.1.1 and addresses are assigned via DHCP.

HP:

vlan 172

name "LABNET"

untagged B14-B17,B20-B23

exit

I have taken a cable and plugged it into one of the 8 ports associated with the lab network and have ran this cable to the new Cisco layer 3 switch. What I would like to have happen is that I can designate a port a "lab" port and that the user can plug in and automatically get an address. This is not working. I have a up connection between the two switches which is a start, but I am unsure how to pursue.

Here are the options I thought of:

1. I treat the switches like I would routers and configure an address on the HP procuve (172.16.1.1) and then one on the Cisco (172.16.1.2) and then see what happens there. Maybe use a routing protocol to relay host info?

2. Tag the packets on the HP and then assign ports into the same vlan number on the Cisco?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If someone has done this before then I am all ears to listen.

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How many Vlans are you planning to implement ?

If just the one mentioned, simply plug the Cisco switch to the HP and it should work without any additional configuration.

The switch comes with a default vlan (Vlan1) and its switchports associated to it.

The Vlans between the switches do not need to match unless you are planning to tag the Vlans and carry more than one Vlan on a single link (trunk).

Good luck !

__

Edison.

Thanks for the reply. Currently I have a line running to a layer 2 switch from the HP and it does what you said. Sadly this is not the case for the layer 3 switch. The line comes up, but when I plug a laptop into the switch I am not able to get an address like I was on the layer 2.

Also I would like to implement 2 vlans. I thought about tagging at the HP and then at the Cisco, but the vlans CANT talk. And its layer 3 to layer 3 so its through IP unless you say to use layer 2. Would trunk to trunk work? I am unsure how the switch would take to that since you typically need a router for trunking. Technically this switch is a router...

The end goal is this.

Old office uses HP switch. It is broken into 4 sections. New office needs to access those sections. Switch to switch so new office can talk to old office. When user plugs into port on new office switch they will get an address from old office.

The line comes up, but when I plug a laptop into the switch I am not able to get an address like I was on the layer 2.

Perhaps you are being affected by the Spanning-Tree Portfast which is disabled by default on all switchports.

Please enter

spanning-tree portfast

on the switchport where these workstations are connecting to.

Also I would like to implement 2 vlans. I thought about tagging at the HP and then at the Cisco, but the vlans CANT talk.

As for implementing 2 Vlans between HP and Cisco, sorry - I can't answer that one as I don't have experience configuring trunking from a Cisco device to a HP device.

In theory, it should work if you match the native vlan (untagged Vlan) on both sides and allow the other vlans in the trunk. You must also create both Vlans on the respective switch databases.

Please read this document on Vlan management on a Cisco Switch:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swvlan.html

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: