cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Uninstalling a Unity 4.2 server with Exchange 2000 co-resident

shikamarunara
Level 4
Level 4

In my new position I inherited a Unity server with Exchange 2000 co-resident. I've completed a migration of all of the mailboxes to another server that is partnered with the corporate Exchange servers instead. I would like to decomission the old server so that 1) Exchange is removed gracefully from AD and 2) Unity is removed properly as well. Can anyone recommend a document or tool?

-Shikamaru

5 Replies 5

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you have the new Unity server already in place as well? Or just removing Exchange from Unity?

The new Unity server is already in place and all of the subscribers have been moved from the old one to the new one.

-Shikamaru

If the Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 are in the same domain, I would follow this procedure then.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260378

If the server is a stand alone Unity VM and Exchange, there is nothing left to do to decommission.

Unity servers in a single domain are aware of each other and share information. My experience is that when a Unity server is removed, the reference to it by the remaining servers remains. Isn't there something that needs to be done to remove it properly?

-Shikamaru

If the Unity servers are Digitally Networked, then you have to remove digital networking. (basically delete all the dialing domains, etc) But as for Exchange, this a Microsoft issue. You need to decommission the Exchange server properly or you will have issues on your new server. (free/busy errors, public folder replication, etc)