Export user tracking report to csv not working in 3.0.1

Unanswered Question
Apr 16th, 2008

After selecting the number of rows, a new window pops up then disap disapears leaving us with no csv file to download.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Wed, 04/16/2008 - 14:17

This typically has to do with having pop-up blockers enabled, or you have a handler configured in your browser for CSV files. For example, you may have configured CSV files to open automatically in Excel, but Excel is not working for some reason.

Local testing with IE and Firefox indicates that CSV export from UT 5.0.2 does work.

Joe Clarke Thu, 04/17/2008 - 07:59

Ah, you are seeing CSCsl24267 which will be fixed in CM 5.0.3.

Symptom:

This is easily reproducible only on LMS 3.0 when exporting User Tracking entries to a CSV file.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

Web into LMS-->Campus Manager-->User Tracking-->Report Generator-->generate an end host report-->click on the export icon on right top corner, you will see the following error message:

Internet Explorer cannot download file UTHostPT.do from lms-servername

Conditions:

This is only an issue with the new Campus Manager 5.0.1 in LMS 3.0 using SSL with IE. LMS 2.6 or older does not have this problem. Using Firefox does not have this issue.

Workaround:

Use Firefox instead of IE. Or change to HTTP instead of using SSL.

Alternatively, edit NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cmapps/WEB-INF/web.xml, and change the nocache param value from true to false. That is, by default, the web.xml file will have:

nocache

true

Change the param-value from true to false, then restart CiscoWorks Daemon Manager.

(Note: NMSROOT is the path into which CiscoWorks is installed. By default, this is /opt/CSCOpx on Solaris and C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx on Windows.)

joseph.filipek Mon, 04/21/2008 - 09:22

That did not work even after a server reboot.

"Cannot download uthostpt.do from server"

I should also mention that we had to patch 2 files because we could not run cmexport utdata into .xml format. The two files were:

DEEUTProccessor.class and utng.jar

Joe Clarke Mon, 04/21/2008 - 09:24

Please post NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cmapps/WEB-INF/web.xml .

Joe Clarke Mon, 04/21/2008 - 09:54

Can you try Firefox to rule out any other problems with generating the export? If that works, then you will need to wait until next Monday for CM 5.0.3 to be released to get the fix.

joseph.filipek Mon, 04/21/2008 - 10:12

Yes, I can export to .csv with Mozilla Firefox. Will wait for the patch and let you know, thanks.

miheg Tue, 04/22/2008 - 08:45

Wasn't there a way to schedule this in LMS 2.5?

Was that functionality lost?

Cheers,

Michel

Joe Clarke Tue, 04/22/2008 - 09:10

Reports can still be scheduled, but due to IE security restrictions, they cannot be exported when SSL is enabled and caching is enabled. This is being fixed in CM 5.0.3.

miheg Tue, 04/22/2008 - 11:20

Thanks Joe,

I was thinking of scheduling exporting the usertracking data.

Not via a report but directly to a csv on the server.

I'm pretty sure I've done that in lms 2.5

But I will visit that customer soon to see what I did back then.

Cheers,

Michel

joseph.filipek Wed, 04/23/2008 - 10:06

Joe

Will exporting UT data in .xml file format on the server be included in 5.0.3?

Joe Clarke Wed, 04/23/2008 - 10:21

It exists today using the cmexport command:

cmexport ut -u admin -p admin -host -query All

joseph.filipek Thu, 04/24/2008 - 10:31

Thanks, I am using that already. I meant a scheduled proceedure in lms that will create the file on a regular basis as did user tracking did for .csv files in version 2.5

Joe Clarke Thu, 04/24/2008 - 10:45

There is no GUI way of generating an export of UT data in XML format. The two export formats are CSV and PDF. I have not heard of any plans to change that given that DEE already provides XML data, and DEE can be scheduled using cron or at.

Joe Clarke Thu, 05/01/2008 - 08:48

I cannot reproduce. I have 5.0.3 on LMS 3.0.1 configured for HTTPS. I'm testing with IE 7.0 on Windows 2003, and I am able to export UT reports to CSV just fine.

My site is configured as Local Intranet, and my download security settings for local intranet are:

Automatic prompting : Enable

File download : Enable

Font download : Enable

Enable .NET framework setup : Enable

You might also try shutting down dmgtd, then deleting all files and directories under NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost. Then restart dmgtd, and see if the problem persists.

joseph.filipek Thu, 05/01/2008 - 09:32

ie6.03 on windows 2003, https.

There are 251 directories and 2417 files on NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/*****NO TOMCAT HERE*****/work/Standalone/localhost

Are you sure about deleting all files?

Joe Clarke Thu, 05/01/2008 - 09:37

Sorry, typo. The directory is NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost. All files and directories under that path are safe to delete.

I did a quick test with IE 6 on Windows 2003, and it works as well with CM 5.0.3. The site was registered as a trusted site of IE 6, and my security settings were set to Low.

Joe Clarke Thu, 05/01/2008 - 10:18

Post your NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/webapps/cmapps/WEB-INF/screens/downloadFile.jsp and MDC/tomcat/work/Standalone/localhost/cmapps/org/apache/jsp/WEB_002dINF/screens/downloadFile_jsp.java files.

Joe Clarke Fri, 05/02/2008 - 07:45

These files are good. The only other things I can think of to check are proxy settings in your browser. If you're using a proxy, disable it for the IP address and hostname of the LMS server. Also, clear your browser cache, and check to make sure your security settings are sufficiently trusting of the LMS server.

joseph.filipek Fri, 05/02/2008 - 08:24

I agree it must be an IE setting because firefox does work but I cannot yet find out which one. IE does open an information bar after looking for https://10.128.184.43/cmapps/UTHostPT.do

saying "to help protect your security, IE blocked this site from downloading. Click here for options", then after clicking on download file the error message shows cannot download UTHostPT.do.

Is that the right url? cmapps is not on the root of 10.128.184.43 and a search cannot find it anywhere on the server.

Joe Clarke Fri, 05/02/2008 - 08:28

That is the correct URL. Try adding the server as a trusted site in IE, then set your security level to Low for trusted sites.

Actions

This Discussion