Views
Helpful
Replies

Script to monitor interface errors

dlwanuradha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone have a script that I can run from ciscoworks or opsware to check all uplinks on the camps to find out if there's any erroring ports. (input errors, output errors, crc, etc).

I have seen some EEM TTL scripts, but at the moment it's not a viable option for me.

Thanks in advance.

Anuradha.

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is it EEM that you cannot use (e.g. IOS is too old), or are you adverse to using EEM Tcl scripts? The reason I ask is that you can monitor errors using EEM applet policies.

If you'd rather not use EEM at all, you can use the CiscoView Mini-RMON Manager to deploy RMON alarms and events onto your devices to watch for errors. This assumes, of course, that the devices in question are switches (you did say uplinks, so I'm guessing this is the case).

To use Mini RMON Manager to do this, go to CiscoView > Mini RMOM, select your device, then under Setup, click Alarms. Create a new Alarm for the metric you want (e.g. CRC Errors). You can even specify the Alarm Variable as Other, then enter any MIB variable you'd like (such as 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 for ifInErrors). If you specify an Alarm Action of Log or Trap & Log, the syslog messages can even be processed by RME.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the help. What I'm trying to do is, to gather all interfaces which are erroring my entire campus. like a morning health check, not as in real time monitoring. that's why I can't use EEM, because it's just throwing alerts to the monitoring platform. I think Mini RMOM is somewhat similar isn't it.

So as I said I'm looking for a way of creating a report to find out which interfaces are having CRCs before the start of business day.

Cheers,

Anuradha.

Well, any tool you use will have to get its data somehow. If you use RMON to send syslog messages to RME, you can run reports in RME to see which devices sent syslog messages over a 24-hour period.

You might also look at the Health and Utilization Monitor add-on to LMS 3.0. With HUM you can create custom pollers, and generate reports based on the data gathered by those pollers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: