network must have's

Unanswered Question
Apr 17th, 2008

Hi all, can anyone tell me the top network must haves today for a good successful network ?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

You will really have to exapnd on your question/requirements.

eg:- I heard a story recently, a client of my consultant firend was complaining of network issues between 2 sites connected by a 10mbs pt-pt link. He complained that the network was constantly slow. After some investigation the network was fine and working 100%. The issues were 2 fold:-

1) no pc security policy - everybody was sharing music/films and downloading from bittorrents day/night.

2) They were a media company - so they were sending emails group wide - when the attachments were large media files...typically 20mbs - sent to over 100 20x100mbs a couple of times a day

The network was doing what the network should - route/switch as fast as possible, but the users were abusing it, and the administrators were not administering.

You have asked a question that has a million answers. What type of network? Data Center? Small Office, Medium/Large or Enterpise Office? VPN/Remote Access network? Wireless Network? Hub and Spoke or Partially/fully meshed......

cisco_lad2004 Thu, 04/17/2008 - 03:58

1-documnatation ( drawings , database etc..)

4-Fault and performance monitoring.

7-last but not least..trained engineers !

cisco_lad2004 Thu, 04/17/2008 - 04:50

not really :-)

It doe snot tak much to draw few daigrams, use MRTG for FM/PM and have some tools for change Mngt (Rancid), add a Linux tacacs server.

I suppose at the end of the day it all depends on what is being looked for. Perhaps I understood the original question incorrectly.

But then varying opinions on specific topics are what make these forums work right!!! Different experience/exposure to environments/technologies and sources of information are what helps people, and of course - if you learn something new, the day's not wasted!

This Discussion