Views
Helpful
Replies

CAR question

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Automatic purge is enabled by default on CM 5 and CM6. Can someone explain the settings for automatic purge?

I don't understand the "Min Age of Call Detail Records" settings.

Thanks,

JH

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi JH,

Good question :) In CCM you set the Automatic purge to take place automatically @ 2 million records or if you don't want to consume the whole 6 gig CAR Database maximum you can set a High water mark (maximum percentage of the 6-gigabyte CAR database that you want the system to use for CAR data. )

When the purge takes place CAR looks at the setting "Min Age of Call Detail Records" to ensure that records are saved for this minimum time frame. You may always want a minimum of 60 days of CDR records (for Billing purposes perhaps) so you would enter 60 for this setting :) all records older than 60 days would be purged at this point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/5_1_3/car/carsycfg.html#wp1212660

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your answer. I also read the CAR user manual and still I don't get it.

The manual for the "Max Age of Call Detail Records" says:

"In the Max Age of Call Detail Records field, enter the maximum number of days that you want to keep the CDRs in the CAR database. Enter a number between 1 and 180."

I understand that.

It goes on:

"CAR deletes all CDRs that are older than the specified number of days."

I also understand that :)

So the next option: "Min Age of Call Detail Records" according to manual:

"When the database size exceeds the high water mark or the number of CDRs in the CAR database exceeds two million records, CAR deletes the CDRs that are older than the number of days that you specified in this field."

It would mean that initial you will have 60 days of CDR's (default value of "Max Age of Call Detail Records") and when the condition of 2 million CDR's or high watermark is reached you will have 30 days of CDR's? (default value "Min Age of Call Detail Records")

I hope I am wrong, because this is very weird.

My customer has only 30 days of CDR's and no-way has he more than 2 million records.

What would I have to do to make the maximum number of days? Make both values 180?

Sometimes the documentation of Cisco is very strange, they go into deep depths to explain how to add or delete a partition, but something really important is put in a few lines.

Thanks,

Jan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: