cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP vs MST

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

For a scenario with 50 vlans, each vlan residing on an individual switch, is it best to run MST or RSTP? We want to have the flexibility to add more than one vlan to a switch, but at the same time, 50 vlans would be 50 STP instances using RSTP correct? Is 50 vlan RSTP instances going to slam my core switchs processor? What is the maximum number of vlans you would run in RSTP, before migrating to MST?

4 Replies 4

ebanks2006
Level 1
Level 1

I can't recommend a specific number of VLANs where migration to MST would be indicated. I can say that we run well more than 50 VLANs in our core in PVST+ mode. We use "switchport trunk allowed vlan" statements on the core-to-dist layer trunk uplinks. This keeps STP calculations reasonable by limiting the number of ports the core switch has to consider. CPU impact on our core switches by the STP process is negligible.

I don't think you'd have any problem running RSTP with 50 VLANs, assuming you use the "switchport trunk allowed vlan".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800951ac.shtml#block_ports

Yes, one can configure more than 50 vlans in the switch. Mainly we need to consider SP CPU and Number of virtual ports on the switch

before adding vlans.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

50 shouldn't be a problem , we have like 80 on a first gen Sup 2 6500 and its not a problem with cpu or anything else , we run just pvst+ not rapid but it still shouldn't matter , just manually prune off any vlans you don't actually need down the links to the individual switches.

chatasos
Level 1
Level 1

In large switches, it's the number of spanning instances that matters, not the number of vlans.

Use "sh spanning-tree summary totals" to find it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco