cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding the max throughtput of a 3825 and 3845 router(s)

MICHAEL CICCONE
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the max throughput of a 3825 and 3845 router. I've been told that the 3825 router has a max throughput around 180 MBps. Is this the real throughput or the theoretical throughtput? I've been searching Cisco's site for this info, but so far I haven't it.

Thanks

Mike C.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

See attached document.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Thanks for the info.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As you will see, the 180 Mbps corresponds to the Mbps rating provided from the 3825 sheet Paolo provided. Don't overlook the information at the top of the sheet how the Mbps is calculated.

Perhaps unclear is the bandwidth might need to be halved if you're thinking full duplex traffic.

Also, most devices increase their effective bandwidth as the packet size decreases. The PPS rate drops but often not in the same proportion as the increased packet size increases. For instance, at a packet size of 256 bytes, 4x larger than 64 bytes, the effective bandwidth might double. (Sometimes vendors will provide performance at various sizes or for IMIX; sometimes just for 1500 byte size packets.)

Thanks for the answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: