Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity 5.0(1) & exchange 2007

cris_jimenez
Level 2
Level 2

Folks

Do you have documentation and/or any recommendation on how to migrate cisco unity from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cris_jimenez -

I just wanted to post here for anyone else looking for an answer....

You just solved our problem with a VM only 4.04 migration to a failover 5.0(1) with exchange 2007.

As soon as we performed the DiRT restore, unity would lose the message store "message server is offline". We tried everything, MSCW, new reinstall, you name it.

The only thing that worked was deleting the MAPI profile from your instructions, and later found in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949dc.shtml#topic2-3

So thanks, and hopefully this will help someone else out in the future...

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

VM only or Unified?

Both

Does not make sense. You can only have VM only setup or UM setup.

For UM setup, you will need to upgrade Unity 4.x to 5.x FIRST. Then Migrate the AD users to Exchange 2007. Then re-run permissions and mailbox wizards for 2007.

Same for VM only, but for VM only, you will need a separate server. Exchange 2007 can not be install on a Unity server. Must be on a separate server.

For VM only

Install new Unity 5.x server and Exchange 2007

On old Unity server, upgrade to Unity 5.x

DIRT export

DIRT import to the new setup.

Reconnect your CUCMs, etc.

Make sense?

That makes totally sense, we have Unity 5.0(1) already, and we are running exchange off box. we only need to migrate from exchange 2003 to 2007 and basically what i need to do i migrate the AD users to Exchange 2007 and then re-run permission wizard and the message store configuration wizard with the options for Exxchange 2007.

for VM only we just need to create a new integration on the UTIM, riht ?

I guess Im a little fuzzy on your setup.

VM-Only setup with Unity is in it's own domain. So let's say you have Windows 2003 and Unity 4.2 running with Exchange on box. (single box setup) You want to upgrade to Exchange 2007 for the VM Only domain. You will need to do the following:

- Install new Exchange 2007 server in VM-only domain

- Upgrade Unity to 5.x

- Migrate users from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007

- Re-run Unity permissions and mailbox wizards.

So..for 5.x UM when going from Exch2003 to 2007, all you need to do is run permissions wizard and MsgStore config wizard to point to the new 2007 server? (And move the users, of course).

Any considerations for failover?

what I did for failover, I removed the failover configuration upgraded and then re-integrated again

ah and also, I had to recreate the MAPI

otherwise when you try to retrieve VM you will get a recording stating that the VM server is down

The UM is already 5.x, so no upgrade will be needed...and I'm OK with that.

:)

so whenever you change the partner exchange to 2007, just run the permission wizard and the message store configuration wizard and recreate the MAPI

Thanks Cris for all your fast replies!

...I will be working from that document, but was wondering if there are any "real world" gotchas out there.

not really.

the only issue that I faced was to recreate the MAPI that is not mentioned on the document.

when you recreate the MAPI you need to logint with the MessageStoreSvc account and you need have a VNC connedtion not an RDP to the unity box

Chris can I ask what do you mean by recreate the MAPI? What steps? I never had to do this. Running MSCW creates the MAPI.

If Unity is already installed and you are rerunning MSCW for whatever reason. (partering) it should be run from control panel > add remove programs. It will run again not remove.

rlp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: