cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling VTP and Pruning

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a tough time convincing my manager about the benefits of enabling VTP and Pruning in an environment consisting of 7 stacked switches and 3 VLANs. He is convinced tha “VTP just has all its own problems, and maintenance issues”. Can someone tell me or explain to me if there are any issues with enabling VTP or what database problems it might present?

3 Replies 3

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

Proper stacked? If you're talking a single 3750 stack then you don't need VTP at all.

Regardless, I've not had any issues with VTP. I definitely prefer it to manually propagating VLANs.

VTP is the way to go. Besides if you have edge devices in other remot closets that are trunked those switches are clients and noone can sneak in the closet and add or remove vlans.

No problems here with vtp. My enviroent consists of about 15 edge devices sprinkled over the campus and a 4507 core switch in the server room (vtp server)

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Sadik,

The advantages of VTP will be valuable when:

1. a larger number of switches and a large number of vlans are present on the network.

2. the changes in vlan configurations are very frequent, then again VTP may have its advantages.

For such a small number of vlans and switches you probably can do it manually, though it depends on your decision.

You can even do vlan pruning using the "switchport trunk allowed vlan" command.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card