Setup

==========

Wireless LAN Controller (AIR-WLC2006-K9) running 4.2.61.0

Qty - 2, 1200 Series Lightweight AP's (LWAP) (AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9) running:

software: 4.2.61.0

boot: 12.3.7.1

IOS: 12.4(10b)JA

Mini: 3.0.51.0

NOTE: My APs cannot be directly polled by my management station. Only the WLC.

Problem

==========

Using SNMP, I am looking for the Object ID (OID) on the total number of associated clients on either:

1) Individual APs

2) Total across all APs (on the WLC).

I know this can be done via a command line on the WLC and is available via the web management inteface on the WLC, but I need an SNMP solution.

I have read of several people on this forum looking for but have not seen a real answer to the problem I have. Several people here have suggested using the following:

cDot11ClientConfigInfoEntry OBJECT-TYPE

-- FROM CISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB

INDEXES { ifIndex, cd11IfAuxSsid, cDot11ClientAddress }

DESCRIPTION "Each entry is the device specification of a client

of this device on the IEEE 802.11 radio interfaces.

Clients are grouped according to the SSIDs of the

interfaces they use for associations and the MAC

address of their parent devices if the clients are

repeat APs."

But this OID does not seem to be available on the WLC. I have tried it even though the Cisco MIB Support by Product page (http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/netmgmt/cmtk/mibs.shtml) says that this MIB is not supported by the WLC.

3 Replies 3

So doing some more digging ... basically, this page says the WLC supports only the CISCO-LWAP-xxxx and AIRESPACE-xxx MIBs related to wireless functions. The LWAP functions did not point me to any direct association objects.

Some on this forum suggested to others to try the AIRESPACE MIBs. But the suggested OIDs only give an entire row entry (instance number) for each client with no index of total clients. Those instance numbers are based some client info (not sequencial) so even to look at them via static OID is impossible. So you would need to know the instance number for each client with does no good. This was apparent by using and SNMP browser on the WLC.

In browsing the AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB.my file directly, I found A POSSIBLE SOLUTION:

bsnDot11EssNumberOfMobileStations OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX Counter32

MAX-ACCESS read-only

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION

"No of Mobile Stations currently associated with the

WLAN."

::= { bsnDot11EssEntry 38 }

Using the Cisco SNMP Object Browser (http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?local=en&translate=Translate&objectInput=1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1) I found the OID for this entry to be OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1.1.1.38.x with x being the instance of the particular WLAN (ie - SSID).

I can make this work, but still is not a total for all SSIDs. Would need to configure one for each SSID and add them up or graph them independently.

Anyone have an OID with total associations on a WLC?

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

Hello

I've a similar problem. I need to know the number of clients connected to each LAP. As they are LAPs and not APs I have to query WLC directly.

But I'm not running Cacti, I'm using netMRG which doesn't support scripting.

Does anybody knows how this can be done?

Kind regards

Carlos.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: