cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One switch, two separate LAN's

tmurray93
Level 1
Level 1

I am an embedded software developer, and have a need to find a switch that will support two LAN's, with the traffic completely segregated. Can any of Cisco's switches do this? What would such a feature be called?

Here's how it will be used:

When developing new hardware, the test board has a single ethernet port. Currently, I connect the port to our company network to tftp code into the hardware, then physically move the cable to the test network that injects packets. Since I am continually fixing bugs and testing, I move the cable back and forth about every 10-15 minutes.

In order to telecommute, I need a way to be able to switch the cable between the two LAN's. The ideal would be to connect my hardware to a switch that had the two LAN's segregated -- then to just reconfigure the switch as needed so that my port was in one LAN or the other.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you need is a switch that support vlans and all Cisco switches support vlans so you can choose any one of them.

The cheapest entry level switches are the Express 500 switches but there is no CLI for this switch and it depends on how you want to remotely connect.

Basically the lower the number the switch the less expensive. See attached link for more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5718/Products_Sub_Category_Home.html

Jon

planzone
Level 1
Level 1

you can always purchase a used switch off the auction sites. I think a cisco 2900 can be very cost effective and will fit your needs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card