Views
Helpful
Replies

How to delete Cat 2950 and 3550 Entire Config

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I wonder what might be wrong as every documentation talk of deleting Cat 3550 as follows:

#delete flash:vlan.dat and reload thereafter, unfortunately i have done this countless of times on both 2950s and 3550s but always end up having my entire configuration which i intend to erase.

Do i still need to add something to have the desired result?.

Please help me out, mind you, i did not choose to save the configuration after issuing the reload command, otherwise that would have been UNDOING my erase as we all know.

Thanking you all in advance

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to clarify. Are you trying to remove just the vlan database or the entire config. If you want to remove the entire config you need to do

switch# wr erase

and then reload without saving config in addition to deleting vlan.dat.

Jon

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi newnetman

I would usually do the following

a. delete flash:vlan.dat

b. run the command "write erase"

c. reload the switch (answer "no" when prompted to save the configuration)

This should have the desired result.

I think the reason that you are left with you original configuration is because you have not deleted the switch config (write erase) and so the vlan.dat file is rebuilt once the switch configuration is loaded after the reboot.

HTH

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael and Jon,

I am most grateful for your help, in fact, i used the two methods on two different machines and they yielded the desire results.

Thanks a million,

Newnetman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco