Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Card

Difference between Serial interface & T1 card slot?

10 Replies 10

are you referring to the differences between say a WIC-1T and a WIC-1DSU-T1?

Yes.

Hi Deepa,

Just wanted to add that, these days WIC-1 CSU/DSU is on the way to extinction and newer VWICT-MFTs are on the rise.

The difference is not much, except for the fact that, these could work as:

1. Voice Cards

2. E-1 Cards

3. T-1 Cards

4. ISDN-PRI Cards (for E-1/T-1)

So you may see these new cards more often than the older ones.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Hi Deepa,

The major difference between these two modules is that WIC-1DSU-T1 comes with builtin CSU/DSU to support T1 or fractional T1.

Following is the supported datarate -

• Data rates

- N x 64 kbps (N = 1 through 24); nonchannelized

- N x 56 kbps (N = 1 through 24); nonchannelized

Plus the Interface connector on this module is RJ-45.

Thus with WIC-1T you'll need an external modem to terminate the link while with WIC-1DSU-T1 you won't need any external modem.

-> Sushil

Now that you are on this topic I am starting out in CCNA, is there a book or any reference material I can read that will educate me on how to understand and configure a DSL, T1, and IMA circuits for internet on a 1800, and 2800 router? Or is this more towards the CCNP scope?

Most of the interface configurations are per application I've found, not that much actually taught on them usually I have to go hunting for what I need first.

But I'm very much a measure twice cut once kinda guy

IMHO the books towards CCNA & CCNP generally teach principles and some basic config info. Valuable, and excellent background, do read them and pursue the certs.

But, in general, CCO Search will often find you the Tech Notes and Design Guides (etc.) with specifics on connections. Although books for the BCRAN class might have decent info on T1 connections (and maybe DSL)...

HTH

Paul

Ptrivino is spot on, the CCNA and CCNP curriculm does seem alot more intune with helping you get a basic configuration up and running so that you can layer on additional services without interface issues being a problem.

It seems I better do my homework then. Do you think that by me studying how to configure DSL, T1, etc... it will veer me from CCNA basics, should I stick to CCNA then study these configs? Plus how could I practice this in an environment where I wont eff-up a production LAN/WAN?

Look at a program called GNS3, it lets you practice most of the CCNA stuff (which is mostly serial and ethernet from memory) using real IOS images and you won't break your production LAN that way ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco