Helpful
Replies

OSPF F/R 'ip ospf network broadcast'

philth_123_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a hub & spoke design in my Lab.

2 spokes, 1 hub in a partial mesh config. I am using 'ip ospf net broadcast' on the serial sub-interfaces of each router. I have full connectivity.

I have frame-relay 'map' statements on each spoke pointing to the other spoke. I am not using the broadcast keyword on the map statements but still have full connectivity ???

Doyle I, is suggesting that I need this 'broadcast' keyword to forward multicast/broadcasts on this network type.

Although Doyle is using physical interfaces not sub-interfaces.

What am I missing here ?

Regards,

Phil.

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Phil

You mention having serial subinterfaces. Are these point to point serial subinterfaces? If so what you are missing is that ptp subinterfaces support broadcast/multicast by definition. You do not need the broadcast statement on the map because the broadcast/multicast is natively supported. In fact you usually do not have map statements with ptp serial subinterfaces, so the broadcast keyword is usually not an issue with ptp serial subinterfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I'm using multi-point sub-interfaces. I'm just gonna try a reboot incase something has been corrupted by previous configs.

Phil.

Reboot is the same ...

spoke 2

Interface Serial 0

no ip address

encapsulation frame-relay

no fair-queue

frame-relay lmi-type cisco

!

Interface Serial 0.100 multipoint

ip address 192.168.10.2 255.255.255.248

ip ospf network broadcast

ip ospf priority 0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.10.3 100

frame-relay interface-dlci 100

!

router ospf 1

network 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.7 area 0

!

hub

Interface Serial 0.101 multipoint

ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.248

ip ospf network broadcast

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

frame-relay interface-dlci 201

!

Hmmmmm ? 'frame-relay interface-dlci ...'

Not sure how this could be affecting things

Phil

Hi Phil,

It is "frame-relay interface-dlci", please check the output of "show frame map", and please check the following:

!

interface Serial0/0/0.2 multipoint

ip address 100.6.1.6 255.255.255.0

frame-relay interface-dlci 101

Rack6R6#sh fram map

Serial0/0/0.2 (up): ip 100.6.1.254 dlci 101(0x65,0x1850), dynamic,

broadcast,

IETF, status defined, active

[edit] To explain what i wanted to say with the above output, if the command "frame-relay interface-dlci" is used under a multipoint subinterface, then the DLCI will be learned dynamically and supporting broadcast by default.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Phil:

You don't need the broadcast keyword in the static mapping command because you have also configured the multipoint subinterfaces to use inverse ARP (dynamic mapping) to do the protocol address/DLCI mapping.

When frame-relay inverse-arp is enabled, broadcast IP traffic will go out over the connection by default.

If you remove the frame-relay interface-dlci command from the subinterfaces, you will then have to use the broadcast keyword for the static mapping.

HTH

Victor

Mohammed:

Sorry for the cross-post. Im glad you agree with me, though. :-)

Thanks

Victor

Hi Victor,

No problem :)

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: