Views
Helpful
Replies

Not getting an IP from DHCP on router - see config of 877w

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am finding all wireless users are fine at accessing the internet from this router but not any users patched into the routers 4 port switch/hub.

I want wireless and wired users to get an IP from the same DHCP scope. Normally I configure VLAN 1 for the wired users, but I have read that if you want both to use the same IP range then configure the BVI interface and bridge it to the VLAN 1.

Hope you can advise.

3 Replies 3

thiru.vel10
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to open the configuration file which you attached but unable to open. You need to configure the IP helper Address in your Switch interface which is directly connected in to your Wireless LAN.

Hi, I have just tried downloading the file and it worked for me and opened in wordpad.

I thought I'd only need the "IP Helper" if the DHCP server was external to the 877w? I have never had a problem with an 877 before, but the 877w I have had to configure the BVI internface and no the VLAN 1 which I have to on the 877's.

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

You need to assign an IP address to VLAN 1 in the 192.168.2.0 subnet, or you can create a different VLAN/Subnet and create a second DHCP pool for non wireless users.

HTH,

Mark

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card