cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RIP to EIGRP

garyrivers
Level 1
Level 1

i have a 3750, Version 12.2(35)SE5, that's running RIP.

well, i've found a need to switch the routing protocol over to EIGRP.

what's the consequences of doing that?

i'm sure i'll lose connectivity to everything connected to the switch while the switch switches between the protocols.

anything else i'm not thinking of?

4 Replies 4

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Gary:

Call this a stupid question, but that router isnt the only one in your network, right? :-)So, what about the other L3 devices? Are you going to migrate them to EIGRP, too?

Now let me say something that Im sure you'll find pretty obvious. You need to examine the environment very carefully and think long and hard about the consequences of the migration. You really should have the network mapped out and you should have a clear picture in yor head of the routing methodology and logic.

HTH

Victor

Gary,

The best way to avoid any disruption to production traffic during the migration process is to run both routing processes at the same time. Once you have verified all the routes are learned via EIGRP then you can start removing RIP configuration from all the routers.

HTH

Sundar

no it's not the only router.

to your ??, i inherited this network, so i'm having to either work around some issues or change them.

here's the senario:

i have a remote router that's running/using eigrp to switch over from the serial link to a backup link (fas0/1) in case of link failure.

in order for eigrp to do the route redirect, there's an "ip redirect" statement on both sides of the connection.

well, i've installed a better/faster link from a new L3 switch (running RIP) to the remote RTR.

therefore i want to remove the serial link BUT continue to have eigrp redirect the traffic in case of a failure. and have the traffic run thru fas 0/0 and the fail-over int be fas 0/1.

so i come to my dilemma, do i install eigrp on the L3 switch or what?

i've added an attachment for visuals.

the top diagram is how it WAS config-ed.

the bottom is how I want it to be.

Thanks, gary

Victor,

i messed up and sent the wrong attachment.

here's the right one.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card