cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 power considerations

fawad.alam
Level 1
Level 1

Should I get 6500s with 6000w power supplies or less? What is the consideration in a server farm environment where there's no POE?

5 Replies 5

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Fawad:

Salamat...

Some things to consider:

0.) What model 6500 chassis will you deploy?

1.) What cards will you populate the chassis with?

2.) How much power does each module consume and what is its current draw?

3.) How much current and power is each port on each module capable of delivering?

4.) Do you want to run an active/standby power supply paradigm or a load sharing active/active paradigm?

This should be a good start...

HTH

Victor

hi Victor,

we are deploying 6509-E switches with SUP720. They will have atleast 5x 6748 and 1x6704.

There is no PoE.

Thanks,

Fawad

If you have access to it, the power calculator tool will show you power demand relative to different power supplies within the 6500 chassis.

Fawad:

The sup-720 consumes about 400W, depending on the model.

Allow about 400W for each 6704 module (you should probably order 2, not just 1, for module diversity for your uplinks).

I cant find the power consumption ratings for the 6748.

Do you have a Cisco sales rep? I am sure Cisco will be more than happy to help you order what you need. I dont see any need for the 6000W power supply, thats for sure.

Sorry I couldnt be more help.

HTH

Victor

Hi,

Use power calculator -

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

You need to have CCO ID. If you don't have the access give me the hardware details I'll let you know the requirements.

>> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card