ASK THE EXPERT - CISCO UNIFIED COMMUNICATIONS SOLUTION FOR SMB

Unanswered Question
Apr 18th, 2008

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update on the Cisco Unified Communications solution designed specifically for small medium business with Cisco expert Mohammed Ahmed. Now your business can deploy a simple, affordable, easy-to-manage system with the industry-leading technologies packaged as part of the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series for SMB. This solution eliminates multiple servers and combines voice, data, voicemail, Automated Attendant, video, security, and wireless capabilities. Mohammed is a senior product manager in the Access Routing Technology Group. He has been with Cisco since 2005 and has been responsible for the product definition, planning and introduction of Cisco's first custom built Unified Communications platform for SMB - the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series product line is part of the Cisco Smart Business Communications System.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mohammed know if you have received an adequate response.

Mohammed might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 2, 2008. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rabiinour Wed, 04/23/2008 - 03:47

Hi,

I have a cisco callmanager 4.0 install cds and i want to use it with an HP DL 320 G5 3050. the problem is that when i use the first cd it says that this hardware is not supported.The cisco documentation says that this server required os windows 2000.4.5, how can i download this version to burn it in cd ?

Thx

b.speltz Wed, 04/23/2008 - 07:37

With UC500, is it possible to create trunk between UC500 (SIP or H323)?, for example a small customer with 4 sites and for example

4? Do you have some technical documents you can point me to.

Thanks

moahmed Wed, 04/23/2008 - 07:46

The UC500 supports multi-site networking (coordinated dial plan) using SIP or H.323. Using this capabilities, you can have a 3 or 4 digit dialing between the 4 locations in your example. Additionally, UC500 support VPIM for voice messaging networking - using this you can distribute/forward messages to other users at other UC500 locations.

You can get additional details (how-to) at these two URLs:

http://supportwiki.cisco.com/sbcs

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/tools_and_resources/validated_commercial_solutions.html

ingematicasistemas Thu, 04/24/2008 - 08:05

Hi

I have problems with a cisco 857 router.

If i conect to our dsl point its syncronice ok.

When i put that router in other dsl point it doesnt syncronice. If we put another router like comtrend in this dsl it syncronices ok, so the line is ok.

What is the reason?

moahmed Thu, 04/24/2008 - 11:08

I guess you are plugging the 857 into different DSL lines - right?

Are the DSL lines are from the same provider, if not what type of authentication/addressing the 2nd provider is using: Dynamic PPPoE, Static?

Would also verify what his PVC settings are. For example: AT&T uses pvc 0/35

I can take a look at the output from “show tech” and see what else may be missing…pls send it to me directly (rather than the Netpro thread).

anthonyfear Thu, 04/24/2008 - 17:44

Hi Lee

I don`t think you can remove the built in interfaces (not easily anyway) - why don`t you buy a 4 port fxo card and put it in the empty vic slot on the unit?

moahmed Fri, 04/25/2008 - 12:22

Hi Lee, the the fixed FXO/FXS ports on the UC500 systems are not modular (meaning you can not replace them with other types). There is an expansion "slot" where you can add any of the following modules:

VIC-4FXS/DID

VIC2-2FXO

VIC2-4FXO

VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE

VIC2-2FXS

VIC3-2FXS/DID

VIC3-4FXS/DID

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1

anthonyfear Thu, 04/24/2008 - 17:52

Hi Mohammed

I`ve been getting to know our new UC520 unit and must say I`m quite impressed - I`ve been working on 1700 and 2800 series routers with CME 4 for the past year or so but am impressed with the way it`s all been designed into a single unit.

The Configuration Assistant is a nice addition too but not powerful enough yet - I`ve had to resort to CLI many times already. But I`m sure it`ll get there.

My question is about SIP trunks.

I`m trying to setup UC520 to work with my ITSP and although I can successfully register and receive inbound calls - I can`t make outbound calls because I can`t specify authentication credentials in my dial-peer.

I seem to recall this feature is available on other CME systems - any idea when I might be able to do it on this one? Or do you know of another way I might accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance

moahmed Fri, 04/25/2008 - 12:55

Thanks Tony for the feedback. As you may already know, the UC500 is leveraging the exact same CME features available on the ISR platforms.

You can specify authentication credentials on a system level as below:

sip-ua

authentication username xxx password yyy

Or do this on the SIP trunk tab on CCA for Generic SIP trunk provider. This will apply for all calls out from the system if the INVITE is challenged.

Could you please let me know ([email protected]) who the ITSP you are working with.

Limarenko Fri, 04/25/2008 - 04:11

Problem with Background image for IP Phone 7940 for Callmanager 5-6.

Old procedure not working and after upgrade from 4.X to 5.x and 6.x we have a lot problems with customers.

Could you please tell us correct procedure for this .

Limarenko Sun, 04/27/2008 - 22:33

This procedure not for 7940 and is not working for Cisco 7940. Could you please give me procedure for 7940 for callmanager 5.x and 6.x.

dshrestha Mon, 04/28/2008 - 03:36

How do I get serial WAN connection to UC500 series? I didn't see any module for that.

moahmed Mon, 04/28/2008 - 08:07

UC500 only supports FE WAN uplink as it typically deployed behind a broadband modem. For getting a serial WAN connection, you may want to look at our ISR products.

moahmed Mon, 04/28/2008 - 08:11

Hi Thomas, you have already addressed this issue with the Security/VPN - Netpro last week. I will forward that to a few experts in that area to get back to you.

This forum is focused around teh Unified Communications.

kevindickerson Mon, 04/28/2008 - 23:30

Hi Mohammed

Do you know if the UC520 comes under the same EAL4 rating as other Cisco devices with the Firewall IOS?

I am looking to provide a solution to a small startup company that requires VPN connectivity from a number of remote users over the internet along with a telephone solution.

Initially I was going to suggest a 877/ASA5505 for the internet and VPN access using the Cisco Client on the remote users machine and then use a traditional PBX for voice. But if the UC520 is certified and will do everything required in one box it would appear to be the ideal solution.

Unless I'm missing something!

moahmed Fri, 05/02/2008 - 08:24

The UC500 leverages Cisco's investment in various technologies which also includes IOS based firewall. The UC500 can be configured to support IPSec VPN tunnels (10 max) and can act as a server for remote clients.

cpartsenidis Tue, 04/29/2008 - 07:35

Dear Mohammed,

While my question is directed to Call Manager express 4.x, it can be requested for the UC500 series as well, so I'm hoping you'll be able to provide an answer.

I'm dealing with a specific need, and I'd like to know what the best approach would be for it:

The secretary has a 7965G+7914 addon module. Because the CCME system has 4 BRI lines, at times, we can have up to 6 simultaneous incoming phone calls.

I need to be able to display as many incoming calls as I can on the secretary's 7965G display (or 7914 if possible), so she can then prioritise the calls she wants to answer.

I've tried a few scenarios, but have only managed to get 2 out of the 6 simultaneous incoming calls being displayed at the same time, on her display.

Is there any way I can achieve the above ? If you can direct me to specific configuration examples, it would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Actions

This Discussion