cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP metric issue (bandwidth settings on 10G interfaces)

roland.sonder
Level 1
Level 1

In EIGRP the default max ref bandwidth (BW) is set to a value of 10^7. Due to that the bandwidth calculation of links faster than 100Mbps can not be preferred.

Bandwith metrics for links with the speeds of 100Mbps/1Gps/10Gbps and even 2*10Gbps port-channel interfaces all end up with a value of less than 1.

Is there anything similiar in EIGRP as it exists with OSPF like the auto-reference-bandwidth parameter ?

If not how can I achieve to make EIGRP to prefer the high-speed links and port-channels ?

4 Replies 4

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Currently, there is no feature in EIGRP to support greater than 10Gb links. However, fixing this is at the top of the EIGRP development list right now, so there is a fix on the horizon.

For now, the best bet is to manually tune your delays to prefer the links you want to prefer.

:-)

Russ

Hi Russ,

Many thank's for your reply. You're about the first person for a long time who seems to understand this problem. Meanwhile I tried to get information almost everywher about this but got no answer yet.

Your answer does not really sound encouraging although development has it on it's list :-(

Nevertheless I'd probably manage to configure EIGRP to take take the correct paths it'll still not quite do what I expect it to do. The "delay" values are parameters which are summed up along the possible paths and then compared against each other other it is not always ambiguous if this will be the best choice depending on the topology.

I'm now thinking of replacing EIGRP with OSPF but this will take a major redesign and thoroughly planning in advance.

Roland

"Your answer does not really sound encouraging although development has it on it's list :-("

Well, I forwarded this thread to the EIGRP development manager--there are a lot of customers who really really want this, so it will be done. My guess is the code will be done in the October to December time frame, and you will see it on Cisco.com in the first half of next year. Again, though, that's a complete guess, and it depends on a lot of things--for instance, what release it's initially pulled in too, how the different platform teams pull it in, how long it takes to do the testing on it, and other things like that.

"Nevertheless I'd probably manage to configure EIGRP to take take the correct paths it'll still not quite do what I expect it to do. The "delay" values are parameters which are summed up along the possible paths and then compared against each other other it is not always ambiguous if this will be the best choice depending on the topology."

Understood. If you're at Networkers, and want to look over your design, and figure out some things, feel free to look me up. A couple of the EIGRP coders will also be there, I might be able to corner one of them to help us out. If not, feel free to shoot me an email--I'm ridiculously easy to find. :-)

"I'm now thinking of replacing EIGRP with OSPF but this will take a major redesign and thoroughly planning in advance."

I would counsel patience. :-)

:-)

Russ

gopi_b4u2003
Level 1
Level 1

I have to connect three locations using 3845 with 2 giga ethernet and 2 e1 lines.I have to use load sharing in these three locations.3 locations is in different ip subnet,is it possible to do that.Already two locations are interconnected.The new location is third location.The first location is the primary link and second locaion is the secondary link. once first location goes down the second location wants to primary . so what i have to do for that . can u send me the commands..

THanks and Regards

Anand

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco