cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2610 Terminal Server Configuration

brentramsey
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a 2610(IOS ver 12.3(26)) to provide console connections in my lab. When I try to reverse telnet, the 2610 shows the connection opened, but I just get a blank screen. I have read a few previous posts, but they have not helped me fix this. I am using one octal cable on async ports 0-7 on a nm-32a card. I have the lines set to the normal console settings 9600-8-N-1, and it doesn't seem to matter whether flowcontrol is set to hardware or off. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Here is my current config:

Current configuration : 1121 bytes

!

version 12.3

service timestamps debug datetime msec

service timestamps log datetime msec

service password-encryption

!

hostname lab-c2610as

!

boot-start-marker

boot-end-marker

!

no logging console

!

no aaa new-model

ip subnet-zero

ip cef

no ip domain lookup

ip host R1 2033 10.10.10.10

ip host R2 2034 10.10.10.10

ip host R3 2035 10.10.10.10

ip host R4 2036 10.10.10.10

!

!

!

!

!

!

interface Loopback0

ip address 10.10.10.10 255.255.255.255

no ip route-cache cef

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

!

interface Ethernet0/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

full-duplex

!

interface Serial0/0

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Serial0/1

no ip address

shutdown

!

interface Group-Async1

no ip address

encapsulation slip

async mode interactive

group-range 33 64

!

no ip http server

ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1

!

!

line con 0

line 33 64

session-timeout 60

exec-timeout 0 0

no exec

transport input all

stopbits 1

line aux 0

!

!

end

11 Replies 11

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Your configuration seems perfect to me, can you post a show version, a show diag, and a show line.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thank you for looking at this! I will attach the requested outputs to this message.

Hi,

From your output, the card is well analyzed, this keeps us with two other options, the first is that you've installed the octal cable in the wrong outlet, accordingly please check this out, or that your cable is defected, if you can please test via another cable.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I tried another octal cable that we use on a dial-out access server, and had the same problem. I verified that I am plugging the 68-pin connector into the port that is labeled with the first 8 ports(on the nm-32a, this is the bottom right connector), and I have verified that I am plugging the correct rj-45 into the right console port. I found an older 2511, and configured it the same way, and I have the same problem with it. Both routers are quite old, so it would not be completely unbelievable that both could be defective, but I am still looking over my config. I have typed the 9600-8-N-1 config on the access servers and on the console ports of the managed routers, but is there anything else that you can think of that I may need to configure on the managed router's console port?

Hi Brent,

I have this config on my access server (2511) and it works flawlessly:

line 1 16

exec-timeout 0 0

privilege level 15

login local

no exec

transport preferred all

transport input all

Try taking out the stop bit out and see what that does as well.

HTH

Sal

Hi,

Attached is the output from one of my console servers (Cisco 2611 with NM-16A running c2600-i-mz.122-27.bin), i can't find any misconfiguration in your output, i believe that this might be related to a defected cable, card or router, a couple of minor questions though, what part number is your octal cable, have you tried rolling over its RJ45, and what specific configuration have you done on your managed routers' console ports.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for your outputs, Mohammed. I may try once again to apply a simpler config, since that seemed to work for your 2610. The part number on my octal cables is 1.009.744. I have not tried to roll them over, but I can try that as well.

BTW, thanks for your help also, Sal. I tried this on the 2511 and still had the problem.

I tried using a coupler to roll the cable, but saw no difference. I wiped my 2610 clean and put a new simpler config on it, just 'transport input all' and 'no exec' on line 33 64. I hooked cable 1 to the console port on the actual 2610, thinking it may ease my troubleshooting a bit. I can see the ports active, and I can see the session, but that is about it. When I do a 'show line 33' I see the terminal-type is XTERM, but I do not see this on line 0. I am not sure if this is a problem or not. I will attach my show line outputs, in case there is anything weird in there.

Thanks!

Hi,

You lost me here, i can see that it is working now, what is the problem, can you try multiple devices now and post the show user and the show line.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Just to explain, I took the first rj-45 end of the octal cable and plugged it in to the console port of the 2610, so that the router is connected to itself. I did this just to see what it looked like on the connecting end. It is still doing the same as before, where the 2610 says the connection is open, but I get no prompt or any response from the connection. I can get some more outputs, later today. Thanks, again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card