ccnp or ccvp

Answered Question
Apr 19th, 2008

i have ccna, i am currently working in data networking for a telecommunication company, now i want to persue further certication, i am wondering which certification shall i persue next, ccnp or ccvp?

ccvp seems really really hot now.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by julio.fojon about 8 years 7 months ago

I would like to say something about this subject. Like the other guys I believe that CCVP will be the best way to go but to be honest I have found that CCNP create the base for everything else. If you don't know routing is difficult to troubleshoot an issue related to voice even though it should be very straight forward since it should not be related with routing and switching. But guess what, it is very related.

Again, it is your call but if you demostrate hands on experience in voice and have CCNP you will be hired faster. I recently changed my job and I found that out.

Thanks and good luck.

Correct Answer by jim_berlow about 8 years 7 months ago

If you have any interest in voice, the CCVP is the way to go. The CCVP offers better job prospects and wages are rivaling what R&S CCIE's are making. I know that in my area, employers are picking up CCVP's with little or no experience and then are investing training dollars into them to get them to where they need to be. There is that huge of a CCVP shortage right now.

As the other poster points out, it depends what you want to do. The two certifications will place you in one of two vastly different domains.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Correct Answer by jrensink78 about 8 years 7 months ago

Yes, the CCVP is a hot certification right now. And IP Telephony in general will be hot for a while.

Both are good certifications. The CCVP would probably result in a higher paying job and maybe an easier time getting a better job, since their is good demand and not a ton of CCVPs out there (from my understanding).

But I would go with what interests you the most. If you aren't really interested in IP telephony, it's going to be hard motivating yourself to study and you may not be as happy in your new position after you get your certification.

Also, remember that a certification is not a guarantee of a new job. If you get a certification that supports your existing experience, it'll be much easier to find a better job. A certification without experience to back it up will result in a much more difficult job search experience.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Correct Answer
jrensink78 Sun, 04/20/2008 - 06:17

Yes, the CCVP is a hot certification right now. And IP Telephony in general will be hot for a while.

Both are good certifications. The CCVP would probably result in a higher paying job and maybe an easier time getting a better job, since their is good demand and not a ton of CCVPs out there (from my understanding).

But I would go with what interests you the most. If you aren't really interested in IP telephony, it's going to be hard motivating yourself to study and you may not be as happy in your new position after you get your certification.

Also, remember that a certification is not a guarantee of a new job. If you get a certification that supports your existing experience, it'll be much easier to find a better job. A certification without experience to back it up will result in a much more difficult job search experience.

Correct Answer
jim_berlow Mon, 04/21/2008 - 07:55

If you have any interest in voice, the CCVP is the way to go. The CCVP offers better job prospects and wages are rivaling what R&S CCIE's are making. I know that in my area, employers are picking up CCVP's with little or no experience and then are investing training dollars into them to get them to where they need to be. There is that huge of a CCVP shortage right now.

As the other poster points out, it depends what you want to do. The two certifications will place you in one of two vastly different domains.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Correct Answer
julio.fojon Mon, 04/21/2008 - 11:32

I would like to say something about this subject. Like the other guys I believe that CCVP will be the best way to go but to be honest I have found that CCNP create the base for everything else. If you don't know routing is difficult to troubleshoot an issue related to voice even though it should be very straight forward since it should not be related with routing and switching. But guess what, it is very related.

Again, it is your call but if you demostrate hands on experience in voice and have CCNP you will be hired faster. I recently changed my job and I found that out.

Thanks and good luck.

Sushil Kumar Katre Wed, 04/23/2008 - 23:13

Hi,

As far as certification is concerned I am with every one else on teh CCVP trak. But it would be really helpful at least if you study CCNP routing and switching if you can't give the certification.

I see that as a base for whatever you do in networking. After all Voice runs over the IP Network.

-> Sushil

rajibchicago Wed, 04/23/2008 - 23:37

After reviewing all the inputs and my own research, i have decided to go with ccnp first and then for ccvp. And I believe every one is right that ccnp will give me a solid foundation & understanding of the technology. Again thank you all for your replies.

jrensink78 Thu, 04/24/2008 - 05:06

Good call. It's pretty hard to go wrong with the CCNP in terms of how it will improve your overall networking aptitude. I'm currently running on the same track myself (CCNP followed by CCVP). So far I have gotten my BSCI and am working on my BCMSN. I can see how this will set a good foundation for whichever area that I want to specialize in later.

Actions

This Discussion