Views
Helpful
Replies

871: dialer interface doesn't get an ip address from isp

jlaay-diode
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the attched config to work. The problem is with the dialer interface (I think). Although I 'm asking an ip-address from the ISP, with ip address negotiated, it is not delivered.

I get the following message with 'debug ip nat': dialer not up for dialer1.

Dialer1 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)

I get the following message with 'debug dialer': cannot place call, no dialer string !!!

When I let the F4 int dhcp for an address, it gets one. And further, when I substitute Dialer1 with F4 in the lines:

- ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 permanent

- ip nat inside source list 1 interface Dialer1 overload

it works. but thats not how I want it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jaap

Netherlands

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi, dialer interfaces are for ppp, not dhcp. Use int FA4 for external address, or what are you trying to do ?

Hi,

What I want to do is to get an IPsec/VPN tunnel over Internet between two sites.

I tried the example config mentioned in the following example config.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6130365.html

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tr/downloads/home/cli_config_worksheet.xls

This config uses a Dialer as it would be suggested by Cisco instead of using a physical interface.

That why actually.

I changed the worksheet and use solely fastethernet 4 interface and then it works. What I 'm then missing is the possibilty to use PAP/CHAP check (or not?).

Thanks,

Jaap

Hi, you do not have PPP hence dialer does not apply, neither do pap/chap.

Just configure ipsec/vpn one the FA4 interface.

If you want also to control QoS, etc, get an 877 and interface directly to the ADSL.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: