cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring interfaces for bandwidth availability?

fahim
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if cisco provides any software for free download to undertake basic monitoring of Cisco router interfaces for keeping a tab on my WAN links (when they go up or down) and can give me an average view of bandwidth available across them for SLA purposes.

Am I asking for too much? How do you guys take care of this? I would rather live with something that utilises SNMP traps than configure netflows. Aren't SNMP traps better than netflows, performance wise?

My routers are 1800 and 2800 series and running a bandwidth of 100 mbps between them. I have admin control on all these.

Pls advise!

3 Replies 3

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

basic & advanced monitoring: Nagios and Zabbix

bandwidth monitoring: You can use NMIS or RTG.

All of these products are free. They run great

on Linux platforms.

I deployed Cacti and it does the job of bandwidth monitoring pretty well. What I was wondering was, is there something which can also tell me, (on an average) how much percentage/actuals have been allocated to me by the ISP at a given point in time?

A tool that can be set to send across a packet burst and come back to me with the total bandwidth being made available to me by the service provider?

One of the monitoring tool which is free and i use is MRTG. Its good and easy to use.

SOLARWINDS is one of my fav its not free but it has a lot of features and can be used for sla maintanince. Try the trial verison and let me know if you like it or not.

And yes i feel its beeter to monitor with snmp.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: