Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM and Ethernet Config Question

asaykao73
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a VPN for a few sites and I'm testing how to get traffic from an ATM cloud through our switched network as seen below. In theory, it should be Layer 2 all the way from the CPE to the Test Machine.

Test Machine on VLAN 903 (192.16.14.1) -> [Switched Network] -> Core Router with ATM and Ethernet sub-interface configured on it -> [Third Party's ATM cloud] -> CPE (192.168.14.2)

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not but I CAN'T ping from the test machine to the CPE and vice versa.

Core Router config:

bridge irb

bridge 2 protocol ieee

bridge 2 route ip

!

interface ATM1/0.304470 point-to-point

description ATM VC

bandwidth 2048

atm route-bridged ip

bridge-group 2

pvc 10/100

ubr 2048

encapsulation aal5snap

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.903

encapsulation dot1Q 903

ip flow ingress

bridge-group 2

Is a BVI interface required?

I can confirm that the Layer 2 between the ATM sub interface and CPE is working. I put an IP address on each end and was able to ping end to end.

I can also confirm that the Layer 2 between the Test Machine to Interface Gig0/0.903 is working. Similarly, I put an IP address on each end and was able to ping end to end.

So my questoin is - can ATM and Ethenet co-exist by putting them both into the same bridge group as seen in the config above such that the CPE which is connected to the ATM cloud is able to reach the test machine which is attached to the ethernet sub-interface on vlan 903 through the use of this bridge group?

If this is not possible, are there alternatives to what I want to do?

Thanks.

Andy

2 Replies 2

t814687
Level 1
Level 1

Andy,

What kind of VPN you are trying to build here? I see you are trying to internetwork ATM and Ethernet and build some L2 connectivity... In fact it's rather design question and I need to understand your requirements in order to pick a right technology. If you can give some more background information on what exactly you want to build we can discuss options and benefits L3 vs L3 connectivity between the sites.

How big is the network, how many sites, how big the sites are, do you want full mesh or hub and spoke etc...you got the ides. Without that it's hard to recommend anything....

Thank you for your reply.

Basically I was just testing layer 2 connectivity from a customer connected to a ATM cloud across, where by we put their ATM traffic onto a VLAN and carry it across our switch network to our data centre. I just wanted to make the connection from Site A to the Data Centre like a long piece of ethernet cable in a sense and carry layer 2 traffic back and forth between the two end points.

Data Centre -> Switch NW -> core router -> ATM cloud -> Site A

The simple solution was to put the ATM sub interface and VLAN into a bridge group on the core router. Tested this and it works good.

Config is:

bridge irb

!

bridge 2 protocol ieee

!

interface ATM1/0.304470 point-to-point

description Site A ATM Connection

bandwidth 2048

bridge-group 2

pvc 10/100

ubr 2048

encapsulation aal5snap

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0.903

description Data Centre VLAN

encapsulation dot1Q 903

ip flow ingress

bridge-group 2

Cheers.

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco