cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat OS

nikeshkotadiya
Level 1
Level 1

Can i use CatOS on the router. Does the router supports the CatOS. If not, what is the reason behind that?

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Nikesh

I dont think you have any CatOS has been designed for routers.

Its been always there for the catalyst switches and again thats slowly getting replaced by IOS.

AFAIK you have IOS XR support in both later models of GSR's and CRS which is quite different from our normal IOS been used in routers.

regds

Thank you for reply but can you give me technical definition, why the catos is not used in the router?

Hi Nikesh,

The technical answer to your query is that CAT OS is not designed to run on Routers. Cisco started their journey with routers first and then eventually acquired a company called Kalpana Switches to get in to switching market.

The code they were running on routers was called Cisco IOS and the one running on switches was called CAT OS. The difference bening the switches were pure layer 2 device at that time.

Now when you have multilayer switches like 6500 switch, there are two modes - Native mode and Hybrid Mode. Native mode the switch runs CAT OS only and does not supports any layer 3 feature while in Hybrid mode it runs bith CAT OS and Cisco IOS providing additional Layer 3 features.

CAT OS is meant for layer 2 functionalities only and does not support any layer 3 feature hence you can not have CAT OS running on routers.

Comparison of the Cisco Catalyst and Cisco IOS Operating Systems for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switch -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper09186a00800c8441.html

>> Sushil

Thank you Sushil....

Hi,

CAT OS is meant or switches only. Its not supported on routers. Please note that not all swiches supports CAT OS.

>> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card