cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routed module problem?

amoeba.gao
Level 1
Level 1

hi,i have a problem?nm-16esw or hwic-4esw,which one support routed?thanks!

4 Replies 4

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

If I understand your question correctly you are asking which of the two expansion modules you listed support routing?

If I am correct in my understanding, then as far as I know neither of these two modules support routing. Both of these modules are layer 2 modules and provide layer 2 functionality to a router.

Best Regards,

Michael

Amoeba

I believe that Michael is correct in identifying both modules as layer 2 switches. And as such the layer 2 switch can not provide routing.

However the module is generally inserted into a router which does provide routing. So if you configure 1 or more VLANs, assign ports to the VLANs, and configure VLAN interfaces with IP addresses, then the router in which the module is inserted should provide routing for the devices connected to the layer 2 switch module.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi,thanks your answer,but you can look at url:http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/prod_qas0900aecd802a9470_ps5853_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html,about Table 2. Features Supported on Cisco EtherSwitch Modules,thanks

Amoeba

It seems to me that the link you provide gives confirmation to the answers that we already gave you. On both modules that you ask about in the table it clearly says that layer 3 switching (routing) is done on the router and not in the switch module. The modules that it indicates can do layer 3 switching in the module are: EtherSwitch Service Modules (NME-16ES-1G, NME-16ES-1G-P, NME-X-23ES-1G, NME-X-23ES-1G-P, NME-XD-48ES-2S-P, and NME-XD-24ES-1S-P and these are not the modules that you asked about.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card