Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking

qwertys21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

We have a very old Ciscoworks 2.2 ( ANi Server 4.2) which is still working and installed on Solaris but the User Tracking is not working.

What do I need to enable to get this working?

Please help.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What isn't working specifically? What steps are you performing, and what errors do you get?

I inherited the system.

Opening up the user tracking does not show anything. Nothing at all.

Thanks

Please post a screenshot along with the exact version of Campus Manager installed and the version of the Java Plug-in you are using on your client. For the Java Plug-in, it would be best to post the contents of the Java Plug-in console.

Thanks Jclarke

I have gone further and find out that the User Tracking is not enabled.

What will be the impact of enabling this?

We have 1000s and 1000s of workstations and servers?

Thanks

UT acquisition will query all of the switches and routers that have been discovered by Campus Manager. For the switches, it will pull the CAM/MAC tables to get a list of username/port mappings. This is typically not a problematic operation. From routers, UT will pull the ARP table to map MAC to IP. This can cause CPU spikes on the routers if CEF is not enabled.

The version of UT you have only supports up to 100,000 end hosts (but the maximum recommended limit is 60,000).

I need to clarify something here. I got distracted, and only later realized what I typed.

CEF will not help mitigate CPU problems related to ARP table polling. This will only help with large routing tables. UT can trigger CPU spikes on routers when it polls the ARP table IF the ARP tables are large. In most networks, you will not notice any impact.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: