cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to ssh on routers?

banso_boy
Level 1
Level 1

How do I verify if a Cisco IOS version has IPSec(DES or 3DES) encryption software?

I want to enable ssh but each time I get the following error message

ban-top-dess(config)#crypto key generate rsa

The "^" is displayed below the "r" on crypto

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes sorry:-

Do not see it = no SSH

If you do see it = SSH available

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

when you are logged into the device, do a "show ver" you are looking for "This product contains cryptographic features....."

If so - you will be able to configure SSH, if you don;t see this - you don't have the version that supports crypto for SSH.

HTH.

HTH

you mean if I don`t see "This product contains cryptographic features..." in the "show version" command then I cannot run ssh?

Yes sorry:-

Do not see it = no SSH

If you do see it = SSH available

Thanks for the fast reply.

Sure - glad to help

by the way any idea on how I can enable ssh on the router? software upgrade? If yes how can I go about it? The router is cisco 2811.

Hope u can still offer some ideas here.

If you have the correct image - the configuration is very easy:-

!

ip domain-name blah.blah (this is required for the ssh key cert)

!

crypto key generate rsa general-keys modulus 1024 (module 1024 is optional, default key size is 512)

!

line vy 0 4 or 0 15

login

transport input ssh

!

You will need to upgrade the IOS image - for this you do need a valid CCO account that allows the download of IOS images.

I think there is a IOS image for the 2811 that has crypto - it's either IP Plus or Advanced security or something like, I am not sure 100% on that.

HTH.

HTH,

yep, there is Advanced Security and Advanced IP services.

Most crypto images will have a "K9" somewhere in the imagename.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: