cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can I include DES encryption software on Cisco router?

banso_boy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco router c2800 and the IOS lacks IPSec(DES or 3DES) encryption software.

Is there a possibility for me to do an upgrade so that it supports encryption (DES or 3DES) and I enable ssh on the router.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gilbert

Your router (considering the platform) is certainly capable of supporting encryption for SSH and for VPN. Whether it has that support is a question of what feature set is installed on the router. Apparently your router has a feature set that does not include encryption. If you upgrade to a feature set that does support encryption then you would be able to enable SSH or VPN on that router. The link provided by Mohammed is a good way to identify a version and feature set to use to upgrade your router.

Be aware that changing the feature set of a router generally requires upgrading the software license on the router. And be aware that to download the new version and new feature set will require an ID with software download privileges (generally that is an ID that is associated with an active maintenance contract).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Mohammed and Rick thanks for your response.

What conditions will one have to satisfy to have an ID -associated with an active maintenance contract- which gives me the privileges to download the IOS software with the required feature sets?

Actually that is not even enough. To run software legally you also need to buy an upgrade license as the router was initially purchased without encryption features.

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Please use Cisco Feature Navigator to find information about Cisco IOS software images and the supported features for your platform(s) :

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: