Views
Helpful
Replies

wan bridging

DataSupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've two sites connect with cisco 878 (sdsl) in bridging mode. At the main office site I have a ts cluster with a virtual mac adres with ip 10.0.5.30. Here I can connect to this IP. At the remote site I can connect to each ts server but not to the IP address of the cluster. Appearantly the problem is the virtual mac address is not distributed. How can this be solved so I can connect from the remote office using the cluster address with the virtual mac address ?

Thx

Filip

15 Replies 15

dave.keith
Level 1
Level 1

If the "virtual MAC" is from a Microsoft NLB cluster set for IGMP Multicast (01:00:5e:...), then you may need to configure static MAC address entries in the bridges.

Dave

t814687
Level 1
Level 1

Filip, do you see the vmac in the arp cache of the remote site PC? Do you see vmac in the bridge tables on both routers?

Nope, I see it in the arp cache but not in the bridge table

Filip

This is a tough one...I would try and monitor the traffic. Try to generate some traffic from remote location and see if the remote switch is flooding the frames to all the ports, debug on remote router and see what the router does with the frames it receives from the remote PC.

Make sure the remote router sends the packet to the ATM interface. Debug on the local router and check if that router is receiving frames from the WAN and sends it to the LAN.

Post the debugs and we'll see if we can pinpoint the cause of why traffic is not going through.

Default behavior for WLBS is to mask the source MAC of the cluster and force switches to flood the traffic to all the ports, this is the reason you do not see the source vmac in any bridging tables.

Any options of moving the TS cluster to a routed subnet locally? This will prevent sending unknown unicast frames across the WAN.

-serg

Yes, the WLBS was flooding all ports so I configured the 3560 switch ( main site ) with a static mac address bound to the correct Gi ports. At the remote site there is no traffic going to the ATM interface when using the cluster IP address. The ARP table is showing the IP and mac address of the WLBS. Can the bridge be configured with mac address forwarding ? Another problem is that the telco is managing the 878 routers and they have no idea themselves.

I'm not sure if you can configure bridge with static MAC...never seen this config on the router...

Can you configure remote switch with static MAC bound to the router port to make sure the router gets the traffic? I hope if it gets it should flood it to the WAN...

I don't think so. It's a catalyst 500

well, bypass that switch with xconnect cable to the router. If that works then you stuck with your 500 switch....

At the Catalyst 500 : there is also a wireless access point. In the access point I look at the arp table. There is no reference to my cluster ip address. After doing a ping ( with no result ) the IP address and mac address is in the arp table. So this address is coming from the catalyst 500 and the C500 is receiving it from the 878 router. But it seems to stop at the ethernet port and not being relayed to the atm port.

This is a nice piece of information... the issue here is that when the access point receives the MAC address in the PAYLOAD of the ARP reply from the cluster, the reply frame source MAC address is masked to make sure that the traffic to the cluster is flooded. So your 500 switch has no clue about the source MAC of the arp reply. When the access point is sending ping with destination of MAC from the ARP cache the switch has to flood the traffic to all the ports so in theory the router should get that frame but we do not know for sure... Can you capture traffic on any other pc at the site to see if it sees the flooded traffic?

I just changed the cluster from unicast to multicast. And guess what. I'm able to ping to the cluster from the access point.

Thx

cool, glad you got the solution! Make sure the actual loadbalancing works as expected.

thanks

-serg

no good. load balancing is not working anymore. All trafic is routed to node 1

okay, I had to set affinity to none

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: