cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509 Supervisor Redundancy

whitbych1
Level 1
Level 1

In my current network environment, I have 1 Catalyst 6509 as my core device. I have a secondary Sup 720 Module that I'm installing so that I can configure NSF with SSO for my network. Is it best to schedule downtime for my Core Switch or can I hot install my secondary Sup Module.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi:

The supervisor modules are hot-swappable.

However, if you hot insert a second supervisor engine, the second module will communicate with the active supervisor engine after completing its initial module-level diagnostics. Because the active supervisor engine is already switching traffic on the backplane, no switching-bus diagnostics are run for the second supervisor engine because running diagnostics can disrupt the normal traffic. The second supervisor engine immediately enters standby mode. The active supervisor engine downloads the software image and configuration to the standby supervisor engine, if necessary.

HTH

Victor

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When implementating a new feature on a live network, it's always best practice to perform such implementation during a maintenance window.

During the maintenance window, you can safely deploy the feature, test the feature and back out if it doesn't work without impacting the network.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Undoubtedly there will be a maintenance window. I just need to know if I need to power down my entire core in order to install the secondary module. I have 4 separate properties that would be affected, including over 200 access layer switches.

Hi:

The supervisor modules are hot-swappable.

However, if you hot insert a second supervisor engine, the second module will communicate with the active supervisor engine after completing its initial module-level diagnostics. Because the active supervisor engine is already switching traffic on the backplane, no switching-bus diagnostics are run for the second supervisor engine because running diagnostics can disrupt the normal traffic. The second supervisor engine immediately enters standby mode. The active supervisor engine downloads the software image and configuration to the standby supervisor engine, if necessary.

HTH

Victor

Thanks, Victor. This is the exact behavior that I desire.

Glad I can help and thanks for the rating.

Good luck.

Victor

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card