Catalyst 6509 Supervisor Redundancy

Answered Question
Apr 21st, 2008
User Badges:

In my current network environment, I have 1 Catalyst 6509 as my core device. I have a secondary Sup 720 Module that I'm installing so that I can configure NSF with SSO for my network. Is it best to schedule downtime for my Core Switch or can I hot install my secondary Sup Module.

Correct Answer by lamav about 9 years 5 days ago

Hi:

The supervisor modules are hot-swappable.

However, if you hot insert a second supervisor engine, the second module will communicate with the active supervisor engine after completing its initial module-level diagnostics. Because the active supervisor engine is already switching traffic on the backplane, no switching-bus diagnostics are run for the second supervisor engine because running diagnostics can disrupt the normal traffic. The second supervisor engine immediately enters standby mode. The active supervisor engine downloads the software image and configuration to the standby supervisor engine, if necessary.

HTH

Victor

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Edison Ortiz Mon, 04/21/2008 - 07:59
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

When implementating a new feature on a live network, it's always best practice to perform such implementation during a maintenance window.

During the maintenance window, you can safely deploy the feature, test the feature and back out if it doesn't work without impacting the network.

HTH,

__

Edison.

whitbych1 Mon, 04/21/2008 - 08:03
User Badges:

Undoubtedly there will be a maintenance window. I just need to know if I need to power down my entire core in order to install the secondary module. I have 4 separate properties that would be affected, including over 200 access layer switches.

Correct Answer
lamav Mon, 04/21/2008 - 08:50
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Hi:

The supervisor modules are hot-swappable.

However, if you hot insert a second supervisor engine, the second module will communicate with the active supervisor engine after completing its initial module-level diagnostics. Because the active supervisor engine is already switching traffic on the backplane, no switching-bus diagnostics are run for the second supervisor engine because running diagnostics can disrupt the normal traffic. The second supervisor engine immediately enters standby mode. The active supervisor engine downloads the software image and configuration to the standby supervisor engine, if necessary.

HTH

Victor

whitbych1 Mon, 04/21/2008 - 09:10
User Badges:

Thanks, Victor. This is the exact behavior that I desire.

lamav Mon, 04/21/2008 - 09:17
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Glad I can help and thanks for the rating.

Good luck.

Victor

Actions

This Discussion