Views
Helpful
Replies

HSRP tracking via IP routing

msrohman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Is is possible to track HSRP by using routing the routing table. I found a link on Cisco's website:

//Start of Paste

track object-number interface interface-id ip routing

- Create a tracking list to track the IP routing state of an interface, and enter tracking configuration mode. IP-route tracking tracks an IP route in the routing table and the ability of an interface to route IP packets.

//End of paste

Could the tracking value decrement , if the routes for the next-hop interface were lost (because some error with connectivity or adjancies)?

Thanks,

Mike

3 Replies 3

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi:

Are you asking if it is possible to track an object's status and incorporate that into the HSRP environment?

The answer is yes, and the document that I believe you are citing discusses just that.

The point is to use object tracking to ensure that your traffic is not black-holed because of a lost interface/next-hop/route on the HSRP primary. You wouldn't want to forward traffic to a router that's lost its ability to forward the traffic to the next hop, right?

And yes, object tracking will leverage the HSRP group's priority settings to ensure that a router will not allow itself to continue being the HSRP primary if it has lost the tracked interface/route.

HTH

Victor

Hi Victor,

DOes 6500/su720 supports Object trackign feature for HSRP ?

I am running 12.2(18)SXF12a but doesn't find standby track CLI

Regards,

Chintan

12.2(18)SXF only supports the old-style HSRP tracking:

standby track []

Enhanced Object Tracking (EoT) was introduced into 12.2(25)S.

EoT allows you to track the IP routing state of an interface as well as specific IP routes.

See the config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_eot.html

Rgds,

Ian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco