cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-3750G-12S-S switch problem

rkalia1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has 3 of these switches stacked in Data Center. He has one switch Nortel 470-48T with 2 GBIC ports which they want to connect to the stack through fiber. The connectivity is not going through due to some reason. We have tried changing the GBIC ports both sides, fiber patch cables too many times but no luck. Is there any interoperability problem between the two switches. Pls help. The customer is having connectivity through copper on another switch for the time being.

12 Replies 12

rkalia1
Level 1
Level 1

Pls somebody help me on this....

Are you using the same media on both ends, single mode/multi mode?

Are you using the correct SFP modules on each end?

It sounds like you have a layer 1 problem.

Edit: Are you running any service that might cause those ports to go into errdisable?

It was working earlier before we started managing the switches. The only extra configs put on the switches were AAA and SNMP. The modules used on Nortel switch are on 2 port 1000Base-X (GBIC)module [(47SX and 48SX)]. These are the uplink ports. The cisco 3750G-12S has 12 SFP-based ports. We are using Single Mode fiber.

could you post a "sh int" of the interface?

Hi,

Which fiber standard are you using?

1000Base-SX Supports Multimode Fiber only.

1000Base-LX/LH supports MMF & SMF

1000Base-ZX suports SMF only.

I am not sure by "1000Base-X (GBIC)module [(47SX and 48SX)" you mean 1000Base-SX?

-> Sushil

We are using MM fiber. Sorry for the error. It is a 2-port Gig SX module in the Nortel switch. The other side is Cisco WS-3750G-12S-S switch.

Lars Persson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If my memory is correct the Nortel will not negotiate the link.

Try "speed nonegotiate" on the interface in the 3750.

regs /Lars

Lars Persson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

If my memory is correct the Nortel will not negotiate the link.

Try "speed nonegotiate" on the interface in the 3750.

regs /Lars

Hi speed negottiation is not supported on 1000base-X fiber standard. They work at 1000Mbps only.

Hi

I beg to differ.

I have used this multiple times on LX and SX links.

According to Cisco command reference:

"speed nonegotiate"

"Except for the 1000BASE-T SFP modules, if an SFP module port is connected to a device that does not support autonegotiation, you can configure the speed to not negotiate (nonegotiate)."

Even if the speed WILL ALWAYS be 1000 there are still a negotiation. The gigabit ethernet demands auto negotiation on both ends otherwise the links will not go up. If one end dont negotiate you MUST set the other end to nonegotiate aswell, otherwise you dont get a link.

regs Lars

I beg your pardon, what I meant was the speed can't be anything other than 1000Mbps.

Thanks sunil and Lars. It is enlightening. I will ask the customer to schedule a time for the test and will use the info u have provided.

Thanks again,

Raman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: