cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trade-off between the one-arm and two-arm WAE designs

axfalk
Level 1
Level 1

We are configuring a WAE (model 512) for a branch office and I was wondering if someone could please tell me the trade-off between the one-arm and two-arm WAE designs..

thanks..

greg..

7 Replies 7

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Two-arm deployment uses both interfaces of the WAE. Gig1/0 is attached directly to the router, or to a VLAN on the switch that is trunked to the router. Gig2/0 is attached to the switch and resides in the VLAN next to the workstations or servers, hence the 'interface adjacency to node' comment.

thanks...So the one arm deployment uses only one interface on the WAE? thnx again..

_Greg

Is the 2 arm deployment generally faster than 1 arm deployment because the second int is in the client vlan, so the return packet does not have to go back to the router?

Thanks..

Greg,

If the router throughput is a limiting factor, then the 2-arm deployment model would scale better.

Zach

We have a situation, where we have 2 client subnets in one of our sites where a 512 wae is sitting. We have one wae int sitting in a wae subnet. Can the other wae int sit in two subnets (two client vlans) and route the packets to both of them out of that int?

Thanks..

if you are using WCCP then the WAE becomes the client withing the servcie groups 61, 62. In order to accelerate both vlans then apply the ip redirect 61 in on the client vlan ineterfaces to the one interface.

If inline, you can use both 2 port groups for each client interface or trunk all to a single inetrface and configure which vlans you would like to accelerate.

Now in terms of of using both GE inetrfaces, I would have to check. A topology diagram would help

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

Prior to release 4.13 you needed either a sub-interface or seperate interface routable vlan other then the client vlan segment. 4.13 and above now allows WCCP redirect on the same client vlan interface.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: