cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help on working with 6506 and 6509 please

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

This is my first time working with these devices. 4 6506s with redundant SUP 720 with Integrated Switching fabric and two 6509 with one 720 sup engine with Integrated switching fabric.

I guess my question is how to switch between the router and switch functionality of these routers/swicthes?

and also if 6509s with this SUP 720 is capable of L3 routing?

I need that routing capability for routing PVLANs for cutomers connecting to these two 6509s. to make the matter worse, they have RJ 21 connectors.

I havenot worked with these tyoe of devices and any help will certainly help me alot.

how can I find out if they have MSCF cards for L3 capabilities?

Please advise.

Regards,

Mike

7 Replies 7

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Sup 720 is enough for routing capabilities. You need "ip routing" on the switches for interaction among multiples vlans on the same switch. For communication with vlans on different switches u'll require trunk between switches & for routing subnets to other parts of network you'll require a routing protocol.

you are right and fo rthe same reason you metioned, I am planning on running EIGRP between the 6506s. the two 6506s acing the Internet will be talking BGP to two providers.

what I don't understand is that, in site two, where i have two 6506s connected to site one to two 6506s and th ebGP out, I also have two 6509s with sup 720. I am told to create PVLANS on the 6509s to connect customers to those PVLANS. it seems that I need to create the Primary VLAN Interface on the 6506s and then VTP domian and create the three claasess of PVLAN, premoscouos, community and Isolated on the 6509s. I don't know if this will work since the primary VLAN Interface rresides on the next hop to 6509, i.e. 6506 which is capable of routing!?

this is he part I don;t understand, I habe already come up with BGP and EIGRP configs but this PVLANS and where to have Primary VLAN Interface has confused me alot.

Also, I don't know how to get to the RJ21 ports? sh int on the 6506s only show me the one rj45 blade ports that we have in there similaryl on the 6509s, so I have not been able to get to the RJ21 baldes or ports which is only due to my lack of understanding of these switches and RJ 21 blades! i had never worked with these type of blades.

I have attahced a drawing so it shows what I said here better. please see if you guys can put me on to the right track here!?

Please see attachment.

Regards,

Mike

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

"I guess my question is how to switch between the router and switch functionality of these routers/swicthes"

If you are running in native mode ie. IOS on both the supervisor and the MSFC then you don't actually change between the 2. You are presented with just one running configuration and you configure both the switch part and the router part with the same IOS interface.

If you are running CatOS on the switch and IOS on the MSFC then it is a bit different. Let me know if this is the case.

A useful command to see software, modules, MSFC details is

switch# sh module

Jon

thanks for responing.

how would I know if I am runing two different IOS? how can I check for that?

please advise.

Regards,

Mike

Mike

Quickest way would be to go into interface config mode

6500# int gi0/1

and type "switchport ?".

If it recognises the command then you are running in native ie. IOS across both supervisor and MSFC.

Can you post output of "sh module" to tell for sure.

Jon

I did it on the 6506 and it runs native IOS but the 6509, I still need to power it up and this will be done tomorrow, 04/22/08.

what can you tell me about RJ 21 aside form the fact that each RJ21 supports 12 Ethernet ports? how do I access an RJ21 interface and what do I need to do when I want to configure PVALNS on those interfaces?

customers servers are connected to those interfaces and i am creating vlans in the 6506s and secondary VLANS or PVLAN (Commuity, Isolated, and promescouos) on the 6509 plus the Spanning-Tree.

I haven't worked with RJ21 interfcaes before!

Regards,

Masood

Please see attachment.

i don't know if 6509 with SUP 720 will route? how can I test that?

also, I am confused on how to have primary VLAN Interface on the 6506 and all PVLANs on the 6509s, how PVLANS will talk to the primary VLAN Interface?

I have attached a drawing for your attention.

As mentioned, I have configured BGP and EIGRP, Templates but not yet applied to the routers, but this PVALN and Primary VLAN Inte on these switches and the fact that I cannot see or don't know how to get to the RJ21 ports (5 blades for customer connectivity) is also bothering me alot. this is my first experience with these type of devices.

Please see attach drawing.

Pleae advise.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card