cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to calculate number of switches for 1,300 hosts?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, what is the right design approach for this:

Imagine I will deploy 3750-48P switches across a building. Total of 1,300 nodes.

What's the best way to calculate the number of switches required:

If I do 1,300 nodes / 48 ports = 28 switches. Then you double for the stackwise redundancy = 56 switches total.

or given the stackwise capability you would do

1,300 nodes / 96 port = 14 stackwise (28 switches total).

Please advise rationale to be used in this case(obviously I would order more switches in order to provide room for growth).

4 Replies 4

aaronfb717
Level 1
Level 1

I wouldn't put 1,300 nodes on a single LAN. Your switches are going to be very busy with broadcasts. I "think" the workable limit is about 500 nodes per broadcast domain.

They will be on separate VLANs. I just need to calculate total number of switches for this.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why are you doubling for redundancy? Something to remember; 9 switches max per stack. Interconnecting stacks may require more than 1 Gbps link, so you may have to etherchannel multiple links to multiple stacks. Now the four ports you have designated for inter-connectivity may not be enough! You might want to look at a chassis based switch too. Depends on your requirements.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, if 1,300 hosts only need one port, then using the 48 port 3750 switches, you need a minimum of 28. However, if the physical topology doesn't have all the host cables terminate in one spot, you'll need to allow for fractional usage of switches. E.g. 90 hosts that would only require two 48 ports switches, would need X number of switches if they terminate in X different closets.

You're also going to need to use ports for interconnecting switches that are not part of the same stack. The SFP ports are available, but there may not be enough or you may want to use some of the pure copper ports, if possible, to reduce cost. This might increase the number of switches necessary.

Not clear why you're doubling the ports for redundancy unless you plan to multihome or NIC team all hosts. If temporary loss of a switch's connected hosts is permissible (e.g. user host vs. server hosts), then you might just have one spare switch on hand to replace a failed switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card