Do I have enough for a good CCIE lab???

Unanswered Question
Apr 22nd, 2008

Hello everyone. I'm currently building my CCIE lab at home and this is what I have so far. 2-3550's, 2-2950's, 2-3620's w/NM-4A/S, 2-2620XM's w/NM-4A/S, 2-2611's w/WIC-1T, 2-2610's w/WIC-1T, 1-2522 (frame switch), and 1-2511 access server. I know the lab blueprint calls for 2x3550's and 2x3560's so should I get rid of the 2950's and get two more 3550's? (The 3560's are a little expensive right now) Is all of this enough or should I purchase more stuff?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jim_berlow Tue, 04/22/2008 - 12:59

You have a very good start on your lab. What I would recommend is purchasing a CCIE lab preparation book from one of these vendors: Ipexpert, InternetworkExpert or NetmasterClass. All of those vendors put out good material and will help you to get through the lab. Once you purchase that lab prep book, look at the hardware requirements to figure out what other equipment you need. This will put you right in line with the equipment and will help focus your studies.

Overall, though, you have a good lab so far. I think that it all depends now on what you want to be able to do. I don't think you necessarily need 4x3560's, but if you can afford to replace the 2x2950s with 2x3550s it will help you.

Good Luck,

Jim

akimalijbsk8r Tue, 04/22/2008 - 18:54

Thanks for the reply Jim. I do have one of the above mentioned workbooks. The one I have uses 2811's, 2x3550's and 2x3560's. I really can't afford to do all 2811's. I'd be better off renting some rack-time from them and I probably will in the future. But I do know that nothing can substitute having the hardware in front of you (seeing what happens when you unplug an interface, etc.)

jim_berlow Wed, 04/23/2008 - 07:58

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't worry if you can't afford 2811s - just use what you can afford and get as close as possible to the lab setup the book has. You may have to modify your home lab setup a little to do everything (you might even learn a couple tricks doing that).

Like you mention in your post, you can always rent some lab time for those few items you can't do at home. No big deal - for many candidates they have to do that because they cannot afford even a couple 3560s.

Be sure to start a lab notebook as you work through the labs. Put down drawings, notes, configurations, or anything else you encounter which you had difficulty with or that you want to remember. That notebook will be extremely valuable to you in your last couple weeks of study where you just review your weaknesses (this notebook should help you know what they are).

Good luck with your lab!

Jim

celticfc2007 Tue, 04/22/2008 - 23:29

Your lab rocks! A lot of people can't get a setup like that. If your decide to sell your 2950s and they have ga links and EI images, I might be interested =) I want to u/g my lab.

Good luck

akimalijbsk8r Thu, 04/24/2008 - 05:08

Thanks celticfc2007! Trust me, I understand where you're coming from. Income taxes really aren't that bad sometime =) My 2950's don't have Gig links. I'll check what image is on them. I do want to get rid of them though. If you're still interested email me offline at akim_babil at yahoo[dot]com.

Actions

This Discussion