cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound Caller ID on UCME 4.3

pfc-corporate
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CME 4.3 instalation connected to 2 PRI's. I'm trying to find out some things about the outbound caller ID #, which my provider lets me manipulate.

1) Is there a way to manipulate the outbound caller ID # on a per-user basis? Such as, each users outbound caller ID is their DID

2) Is there a way to manipulate the outbound caller ID based on groups of users. Some kind of translation rules?

3) Possibly going hand-in-hand with #2, since I can set 1 outbound caller ID # per PRI interface, is there some way for me to force groups of users calls to go through PRI interface 1, and other groups of users to go through PRI interface 2? I don't want to have the groups of users have different PSTN access #'s. I'd like to keep one set of dial peers for everyone.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Oh cool.

You will need both your PRIs as what I called wide-open--carrier listens to ANI you send. Then it doesn't matter who makes a call on what PRI.

So two-rules in the voice translation-rule 123

voice translation-rule 123

rule 1 /\(^33..\)/ /407AAA3300\1/

rule 2 /\(^64..\)/ /407BBB6400\1/

So Company A is 407aaa3300 as main number you want people to call back as. Similar for company B.

I'm checking on your last paragraph. (I keep saying that. lol)

View solution in original post

OOPS. Stuff on ephone-dn's is backwards since we are viewing from the perspective of the router. An e-phone-dn is an incoming leg to the router (ccapi). Sale as corlists on the ephone-dn.

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 1234

translation-profile INCOMING CompanyA

Assign profiles to the other ephone-dn's accordingly.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

mciarfello
Level 4
Level 4

"Voice translation-rule" should help you out on #1 and #2.

Voice-translation rules should make #3 a moot point.

Search for "document id: 61083"

Write back if you have additional questions.

I understand the basics of voice-translation rules. What I'm not sure of is what #'s I'd be translating. My basic ephone-dn setup is as follows:

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 3351

desc 1234563351

name Jane Doe

!

my voice-port configs are empty:

voice-port 0/0/0:23

!

voice-port 0/0/1:23

!

I have no clid network-number specified on my dial-peer's

So, when I make a call from extension 3351, what outbound caller ID # is the UCME going to see, and what would the external user see? Would they see whatever my providers default CLID is, since I'm not sending something in the dial-peer or the voice-port?

So what would I use as the input for my translation rule if I'm trying to define a different outbound caller id # different for individual users or groups of users.

Hi.

So you would translate the "calling" number since x3351 is making an outbound phone call.

I don't understand your extension 3351 paragraph. IF the provider is accepting ANI from you,) whatever you set as the calling number (translate calling and dial-peer's translation-profile outgoing) is what the PSTN person will see.

IF your provider is wide open, you might even be sending out 4-digit numbers as ANI which really stumps the PSTN person.

IF your provider replaces empty ANI or mal-formatted ANI, they will replace it with whatever (probably billing telephone number) is on that physical PRI circuit. That number will be fixed for anyone calling out on that circuit.

Here is a sample. Adjust accordingly. Numbers that start with 3351 (I matched your whole extension example as an easy example.) Append 212555 to the beginning. Replace with your area code and prefix.

rule 1 /^3351/ /212555/

voice translation-profile AppendAreaCodePrefix

translate calling 123

dial-peer voice 111 pots

destination-pattern whatever

port 0/0/0:23

translation-profile outgoing AppendAreaCodePrefix

test with

Router# test voice translation-rule 123 3351

The last question is a good one. Let me think about it for a minute. In CallManager, that would be the external phone mask for each of the lines. hmmm.

I think I'm missing a basic part as to what the CME determines as the outbound caller ID to send from amy given IP Phone. Lets see if I can explain this:

Lets assume my provider is wide open and they'll take anything I send.

Lets say I pickup the IP phone with ephone-dn 1 assigned to button 1. That button is 3351.

When I make an outbound call from that IP Phone. Would 3351 show up on the caller ID, because that's the numbers assigned to the IP phone and button (line) I am calling from?

--

Going back to your translation rule, that should work for defining the outbound caller ID for all users as their DID. Now if you could help me with a way to make groups of users have 1 type of outbound caller ID #, and another group of users have a different outbound caller ID, that would be nice. Reason I'm trying to do this is I have 2 different companies on the same UCME, and management may want to use the main # for each respective company.

Yea, if you don't have any translation rule, you will send out 4-digits. Do a "debug isdn q931" and look at the calling party number. That's the number being sent out.

Give me a little time on the group thing. I'll boot up my lab and try some stuff out. And thanks for clarifying exactly what you are looking for.

One more question: Is there a pattern of extensions that belong to company A vs Company B? Ie. Extensions 3300 - 3350 is company A and 3351 - 3399 is company B?

Or are the extensions all mixed up with no pattern?

Less than 15 phones max that will ever want this feature? lol.

There are 2 sets of patterns

Company A

NPA/NXX = 407-AAA

Extensions = 3300 through 3399, and 3500 through 3599

Company B

NPA/NXX = 407-BBB

Extension = 6400 through 6499

Because I have 2 PRI's, I see that I can use one translation rule for Company A on PRI #1, and use a second translation rule for Company B on PRI #2. This would let the 2 individual companies have a unique outbound caller ID for all users in that company, on it's own PRI. This could be a good solution.

But, there may be a deisre for both companies to utilize both PRI's (for loading issues) and still have a way to make CompanyA users have one outbound CLID #, and companyB users have a separate outbound CLID #. Or, it could even got to another level where I have sub-groups of users within the companies (say, by department), and management may want everyone in any given department to have an outbound CLID that is specific to that department.

You know what would be REALLY nice, if there was a CLID setting on each ephone-dn. On the phone system I am coming from (Interactive Intelligence), you can set CLID # for each user's extension, or each station's extension. So if I had a group of 50 users i need with 1 CLID, I'd just set the same CLID on all 50 users individual. That's ultimately the flexibility I'm trying to emulate in CME.

Oh cool.

You will need both your PRIs as what I called wide-open--carrier listens to ANI you send. Then it doesn't matter who makes a call on what PRI.

So two-rules in the voice translation-rule 123

rule 1 /\(^33..\)/ /407AAA3300\1/

rule 2 /\(^64..\)/ /407BBB6400\1/

So Company A is 407aaa3300 as main number you want people to call back as. Similar for company B.

I'm checking on your last paragraph. (I keep saying that. lol)

There is a voice translation-profile on the ephone-dn. Looks like that could be what you are looking for.

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 1234

translation-profile outgoing CompanyA

OOPS. Stuff on ephone-dn's is backwards since we are viewing from the perspective of the router. An e-phone-dn is an incoming leg to the router (ccapi). Sale as corlists on the ephone-dn.

ephone-dn 1 dual-line

number 1234

translation-profile INCOMING CompanyA

Oh, nice! That should do the the trick and let me do all possible options.

Thought about the translation-profile on the ephone-dn. If I use your example, and I have a translation-rule to map 1234 -> 407AAA3300, what happens when the person at IP Phone with extension 1234 calls another internal person? Won't the voice translation-rule kick in and transfer their digits of 1234 to 407AAA3300, and that will end up showing to another internal phone on an internal call?

hmmm. I haven't tried it. I'll try it later when I get home.

Call to another CME phone also displayed the translated calling number. Bummer.

I can't think of another way of doing what you want without full CallManager or two CCME's.

If you find out a way, please post back your results.

I cannot come up with a way to allow me to apply a translation-profile on an ephone-dn and only have it apply to calls out a voice-port or dial-peer. In the end, not a huge deal as applying a global rule at the dial-peer or voice-port level ends up working for my ends.

That brings me to another question. Here's what I am using for rtanslation:

-----

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /\(^33..\)/ /407745\1/

rule 2 /\(^35..\)/ /407745\1/

rule 3 /\(^43..\)/ /407284\1/

voice translation-profile OutboundCLIDasDID

translate calling 1

-----

In the example above, the translation-profile was applied outgoing on a dial-peer. This works fine. I also testing applying the translation-profile outgoing on the voice-port itself for the PRI. Is there any reason to use the voice-port over the dial-peer to apply the translation-profile, or vice-versa?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: