Views
Helpful
Replies

Query on T1/E1 cards on 2801

fortis123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

basic hardware query..Iam confused. one of our UK office got 2Meg line from the carrier. This is tterminating on serila interface of 2801. The serial i/f is : WIC-1T.

Will WIC-1T is correct part to get full bandwidth of 2meg (or E1). Or we need a different part..?

As the card is already in the rtr and I know I can go out via that line. But curious to know is it tha card for the line speed we are getting.

Please suggest.

Thank you in advance

MS

5 Replies 5

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

The WIC-1T is, as you say, a serial interface. It has a serial X.21 connector, which you use to connect to a point-to-point serial circuit, like Frame Relay. BT still provide this type of circuit in the UK for connection to their "IP Clear" MPLS product.

It will certainly handle a 2Mbit connection; we have 4 sites connected to a UK-wide MPLS - two connected at 2Mbit, two connected at 1.5Mbit. All four sites are connected with these WIC-1T interfaces (the only difference is that our routers are 3825s, not 2801s).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

Thank you... So I have to configure the bandwidth under the interface to accomidate 2Mb. As at this time, it is showing as T1

LON-2801-1#sh int ser 0/2/0

Serial0/2/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is GT96K Serial

Description: :ISP_2Meg

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Available Bandwidth 1158 kilobits/sec

LON-2801-1#sh runn int Ser 0/2/0

!

interface Serial0/2/0

description :ISP_2Meg

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

end

!

Thank you

MS

MS

The bandwidth that shows up in show interface is informational only. It does not affect how much capacity the link actually has and uses.

It might be a good thing to configure the bandwidth to match your real capacity (for example if you have any Network Management software that reports the utilization of the interface it will probably calculate utilization based on the reported bandwidth).

But if you do not change the bandwidth then everything will still run just the same and performance will be just the same.

[edit] if the link to that office is 2 Mb then it is an E1 circuit. The card that you describe seems to be a T1 card. I know that there are cards for the 2800 series which can do either T1 or E1 depending on configuration. Is the card in the router one of those cards?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thank you. Here is what I got from 'Sh Diag'

WIC/VIC Slot 2:

Serial 1T WAN daughter card

Hardware revision 1.0

Board revision B0

Serial number 35544078

Part number 800-01514-02

FRU Part Number WIC-1T=

Test history 0x0 RMA number 00-00-00

Connector type Wan Module

Not sure what kind of card for both T1/E1- just for data.

Thank you

MS

Hi,

What I understand is that the card you have on the router is WIC-1T 1 port serial interface card. By default the bandwidth which you see under the serial interface is 1.544 Mbps, you can use the bandwidth command to change it to 2 Mbps, which is not going to make any difference in the interface speed - the speed at which this interface is working.

By default WIC-1T the port/interface speed is 2 Mbps, i.e. if you have terminated a 2 Mbps link then the interface would be operating at this speed.

As far as the card which supports both T1 and E1 is concerned you have "NM-1CE1T1-PRI" which supports data only. This comes with inbuilt CSU/DSU eleminating the need to install external modem which you must be using in the current setup. The other option is VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 card which supports both Voice and Data.

-> Sushil

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card