Views
Helpful
Replies

Link Redundancy in 6509 and 6513 switch

subharojdahal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello folks

I have to work in 2 catalyst 6509 and 4 6513 switch and make it redundant with out downtime. would any body here mind to explain me for the process as i have knowledge and lil experience in STP. Is there any thing else other than STP ?

I would appreciate your great help.

8 Replies 8

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We need a few more details than this. You have

2 x 6509

4 x 6513

What is each switch going to do.

Which switch is going to connect to which switch.

What vlans do you need.

Do you require inter-vlan routing

etc...

Can you provide an outline of what you are trying to do.

Jon

Thanks Jon for your response.

I have 2 6509 and 4 6513 switch in production environment. Every switch are not redundant with each other. Lets say A,B,C,D are 6513 switch, And E and F are 6509 switch. Switch A and B are connected with access layer switch and switch E and F are also connected with Access Layers switches. Inter V-LAN routing is already configured and working fine. My concern is to add sufficinet link among those core switches with out down time to provide link redundancy. I am trying to connect switch A --- C, A----D, B-----C, B----D, E-----C , E----D, F----C and F----D so that I could make switch C and D as core switch. I hope you understand my concern. Please let me know if you need more information. one curiousity, do i need to concerned about inter Vlan routing while working on link redundancy?

I hope whole long message wont bother you. lol

Jon

Any ideas ?

Apologies, i missed your response. I understand where you want to get to with switches A -> F and the layout you are looking to achieve.

In terms of A -> F can you detail exactly what your current setup is. You talk about access switches - are these different switches ?

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the response.

My access layer switches are 4506. Some of them are CAT OS and some of them are IOS. As far as core switches 6509 and 6513 concerned, they are in Cat OS.

One of my network segment connecting 4506 access layers switches and two 6513 core switch are fully redundant. the core switch B is connected core C but A is not connected with neither C or D. VLAN based priority has been set to core A and B. Core D is connected with E. Core C is connected with F. And E and F are connected. The switch C and D are main core switch that connect routers.

Inter VLAN routing is enabled and configured in each core swith depending upon the VLAN that are connected in that segment. My question If i set up VLAN based priority in switch C,D,E,F then does it works.

for your information each core switch has more than 10 access layer swithc. So, If i set VLAN priority in the switch making the swith root bridge, then what will be the consequences? Al thing i have to do in live environment.

I would highly appreciated your response. you have good weekend.

Jon,

Would you please response on my picture.

I would appreciate

Apologies again, it seems that i don't seem to be getting your responses for this thread which is not usual.

I can't see from the way you have described your existing connectivity how you are going to get to C & D being core switches without some amount of downtime.

Also you may want to think about where you do the routing and where you use L2. Ideally you would want to use each pair of 6500's (not C & D ) to do the inter-vlan routing for the access-layer switches that connect to them. The connections from these 6500's could be either L2 or L3 to C & D.

This is all a bit vague though. It really is very difficult to recommend anything based at the moment.

You have 6 x 6500 - when you say they run CatOS are they also running IOS on the MSFC, do they even have an MSFC ?

You want to make them redundant so you could connect as you suggested originally and for this you would need downtime but is that the best way to connect ? - it depends on their L2/L3 capabilities and the rest of the topology - is this a campus/single building/data centre setup ?

Sorry to ask more questions than i answer but i don't want to mislead you and provide you with duff advice.

Jon

Jon

Give me a week, I will make a clear picture about my network so that you will have easy way to recommend.

Anyway, I appreciate your time and thought.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco