Views
Helpful
Replies

Modem interoperability with ATA 186

mlabuguen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know that ATA 186 is not supported for analog modems but I know that a modem does work if connected to an ATA. If you have a modem and are satisfied with communications, please let me know what parameters you have set on the modem end... or the ATA end if other than default settings.

We are currently dialing into the traditional PBX through a modem and it works but there are some pauses during connectivity. It does not work as well compared to connecting the modem directly to a POTS line.

Thanks in advance,

Marvin

1 Reply 1

kelvin.blair
Level 5
Level 5

You are right modems are not supported with analog modems. TAC recommends an FXS port out of the back of a router or vg224/248. However, I have seen some post where some people have it working just fine. Here is one post that I found where someone has successfully got them to work with a modem. http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddfc4b0/0#selected_message

One thing to keep in mind, If I recall the connection speed with an ATA will be no better then 14.4. I may be wrong, but I read that somewhere and can't remember where.

I hope this helps.